Drysuit Question...some wetness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mainedvr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, so I bought an used drysuit, took it in the pool working on getting my weighting down and I noticed just a slight amount of wetness, not a full blown leak. I personally think its just cause I am new to drysuit and probably leaking through my neck seal (neoprene and may need some trimming thats another story). I did not notice much wetness on my fleece undergarment but more on my t shirt and this may have been persperation as I was in my pool.

My real question sorry for the long way around is those of you that dive dry often and have for sometime do you typically stay completely dry or do you get a trickle here and there on most of your dives.

Thanks

The times I've used my suit in the pool I come out damp (or very damp) too because of the heat.

To really know if it's leaking try it outside first.

R..

Don't forget to roll your neoprene neckseal inward to get a good seal on your neck.
I always tell people that drysuit is just a theory. I can go for a hundred dives without a drop of water and then get wet three out of the next five dives. Sometimes it's a seal, sometimes the dry gloves are not seated all the way and sometimes you just have to get a new zipper. Still it's better than a wetsuit during those long dives when you're not moving around much.

but more on my t shirt and this may have been persperation as I was in my pool.
If you were wearing both fleece and a t-shirt in a pool, then perspiration is probably the cause. When I am in the pool with a dry suit, I wear as little as possible for undergarments, usually just a light base layer. Don't wear a T-shirt at all. Don't wear anything made of cotton.

If you were wearing both fleece and a t-shirt in a pool, then perspiration is probably the cause. When I am in the pool with a dry suit, I wear as little as possible for undergarments, usually just a light base layer. Don't wear a T-shirt at all. Don't wear anything made of cotton.
John yeah I kind of figured that I was doing a weight check and wanted to be as close to what I would be diving in as possible. so I just put on my undergarment over what I would be wearing most of the time. But now I will get something different for under the undies if I need it.

Thanks

You will definitely want to wear a perspiration wicking base layer underneath your undergarment like polypropylene. Go to REI and get a nice base layer pant and top. A thick wool sock is also recommended for foot warmth- can also get at REI.

You will definitely want to wear a perspiration wicking base layer underneath your undergarment like polypropylene.
I prefer thin merino wool as my base layer. Keeps me much warmer and more comfortable than polypro does when - not if - I get damp or wet.

While some lucky folks may rarely get wet, the crowd that I dive dry with experiences the full range of dampness on just about every dive. It really doesn't take much to allow a bit of water in and after awhile you just tolerate it. Perspiration can account for more than might be expected, and adjusting the type and thickness of undergarment usually reduces that particular problem.

I can go for a hundred dives without a drop of water and then get wet three out of the next five dives.

+1 Ain't that the truth. I've had dives that I could have sworn I'd accidentally put on my wet suit, and then others that I stayed dry in spite of my misbehavior concerning neck and wrist seals.

Dry suit usually means "variable volume damp suit" :confused:

I learned to dive in a "dry" suit long before there was a dry suit "specialty" :wink:

I wear a set of woolly bears over a t-shirt and my shorts all year round. Usually keeps me sufficiently warm for the duration of the dive. My suit can be completely dry, except for the boots which I can never get dried out, and I will still have a damp spot or two. For a while I was getting wet around the wrist cuffs, but a leak test could not locate any leaks. I am getting a bit damp around both ends of the zipper, but it is not unbearable. I am going to replace the suit soon, so will not be replacing the zipper.

The only time I dive in a wet suit now is when I am in Cozumel. :D

Divegoose

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom