Drysuit Roundtable Q&A

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to use the santi drysuit connector on my apeks low profile swivel inflation valve. Will this work and I can't find any instructions on how to install it. I have contacted both manufacturers and apeks said it they were contacted before by a consumer saying it didn't work for him. I haven't heard back from santi yet.

I don't understand your question. I own a Santi suit and have used both Santi and Apeks inflators, which are the same. I've also used sitech which require suit modification as the suit gasket is different.

@Dive Right In Scuba hey Mike...

Many would argue that the CF200 is the gold standard for New Jersey waters which can be cold and deep. I'm looking to pick up my first dry suit and the Fusion series have caught my attention. How much have the Fusion suits changed since being taken over by Aqua Lung? Which Fusion suit would you recommend for New Jersey waters and wreck diving?

@Dive Right In Scuba hey Mike...

Many would argue that the CF200 is the gold standard for New Jersey waters which can be cold and deep. I'm looking to pick up my first dry suit and the Fusion series have caught my attention. How much have the Fusion suits changed since being taken over by Aqua Lung? Which Fusion suit would you recommend for New Jersey waters and wreck diving?

Functionally they really haven't changed since becoming AL, the only real change is there's no longer a graphic of the White's Bear on the outer skin. For Jersey wreck diving I would say the Fusion Bullet would be a solid choice. If your dives tend to get "extra rugged" a set of replaceable seals and perhaps an extra skin for the dive bag may be a sound idea.

Functionally they really haven't changed since becoming AL, the only real change is there's no longer a graphic of the White's Bear on the outer skin. For Jersey wreck diving I would say the Fusion Bullet would be a solid choice. If your dives tend to get "extra rugged" a set of replaceable seals and perhaps an extra skin for the dive bag may be a sound idea.

Don't forget that they use Apeks valves now:(. I finally got sick of having a wet left arm and swapped the exhaust valve out for a SiTech.

Question about Fourth Element Arctic leggings:

1) Do the "regular" Fourth Element Arctic Leggings have a pre-drilled p-valve hose hole similar to the Arctic Expedition series, or not?

2) Given the large increase in price, are the Arctic Expedition leggings significantly warmer than the "regular" arctic leggings, or are the differences more limited to the "bio-mapping" and more appropriate placement of heavier insulation material? I'm trying to decide if the increased cost is really worth it.

Thanks!

I just bought some FE Arctic leggings (and matching shirt and socks). I don't have them handy to look at, but I'm 99% sure they don't have a hole for a p-valve hose. When I bought them, I figured I would run the hose up, over, and down to the P-valve (if I ever install a P-valve).

The Expedition version was way thicker than I felt like I would ever need. I've been diving in the local quarry, which is 38F on the bottom, with much less undergarment than what the FE gives, and I have not been TOO cold, even after 50 minutes or so. I got the FE gear because I would like to be warmer (but not TOO much warmer), and also have undergarments that are more convenient to use. E.g. the leggings are way more convenient than the Lavacore Sleeveless Fullsuit (aka a Farmer John) I have been wearing, as I don't have to get almost completely undressed just to pee. And I no longer feel any need for multiple layers on my lower half (other than 1 pair of wool socks plus FE socks over them), which is also more convenient for getting dressed and into my dry suit. I also like that the leggings get thinner starting at mid-calf and going down. That's where my socks start, so I don't need yet another thick layer to be provided in that area by the leggings.

Thanks Aaron, I appreciate the details.

Functionally they really haven't changed since becoming AL, the only real change is there's no longer a graphic of the White's Bear on the outer skin.
AL also fixed the issues with the saggy pockets, especially on the Bullet

Mike,

I just got a Waterproof D9X drysuit (used, but like new and awesome!).

I have the Kubi dry glove system I got from DRiS last year. I like the D9X so much I think it's a keeper and I am contemplating having the Kubi fitted rings installed, so I can have replaceable wrist seals.

How does that work with a quad-lam suit like this? What if the end of the sleeve is bigger than the rings to be installed?

Or worse, what if the end of the sleeve is smaller in diameter than the ring to be installed?

I have 80mm rings and my suit is an XL. I installed the "non-fitted" rings that I have. It seems like they are bigger around than the end of the sleeve where the stock latex wrist seal attaches. So, I'm really wondering how you would install a fitted ring. Use heat to remove the stock seal and then what? Would you have to do any cutting of the suit sleeve itself? Sew something to it?

Thanks for any info!

- Stuart

Stuart, it shouldn't be an issue with any of it working. Unfortunately, without having it here, we can't say. If the sleeve was too big or too small, we can build it up with neoprene, and make it match. It all depends on how bad, but yes, adding a neoprene "reducer" will usually fix any issues.

Back
Top Bottom