Drysuit Roundtable Q&A

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got a request.

Can you make a jig for gluing drysuit wrist seals at home? I've found the hardest part is the setup, setting up so the wrist of the suit is fully in tension. Something like a stepped cone so that the suit wrist is fully filled, and once the seal is rolled on, a good surface to secure it with bands to keep pressure on it. Finding the right size jar is a pain. I can only imagine if you have a family of drysuit divers, it would be a huge benefit having some sort of jig, and not everyone can send their suits in, especially if you're changing several at once. I figure you could find something that would work for 99% of drysuit cuffs, and it would be a boon for someone diving dry on a liveaboard, only risking one day of diving at most instead of a whole trip.

(Yeah, the real answer is get a ring system, but someone people don't like them or their hands are too big, etc.)

Could always try a pair of GI issue jungle boots. You can get them super cheap from a surplus store and they make them in whatever size you need. You'd just wear neoprene booties underneath. Not exactly what you want, but an option at least.

Give me 2 days, and I will have it online to purchase. is $20 ok for 1?

$20 seems like a good price point.Wrist seals really should be a home repair job. I'd hesitate to do a neck seal or even think about a zipper, but I see no reason why replacing wrist seals shouldn't be something that every drysuit diver knows how to do.

Don't get me wrong, I love my SiTechs on my Fusion, and travel with spare silicon seals for them, but there's no reason why glue-on seals shouldn't be almost as easy for someone to do at home. It seems like seals and glue are available everywhere.

I quite like my Fusion Tech. However, the issue of the pocket flaps is generally known and acknowledged. It is very difficult to feel them in gloves. To open and to close the pockets is a problem, especially for sidemount divers. Has anyone succeeded to solve this problem?

My "fix" was to cut a rectangular strip of kydex that fits within the flap's stitching. With a heat gun, I gave it a little curve that fits my leg, then attached it with the glue tape from DRIS. If you like, I can post a pic. I think it's better than the rolled up webbing.

My "fix" was to cut a rectangular strip of kydex that fits within the flap's stitching. With a heat gun, I gave it a little curve that fits my leg, then attached it with the glue tape from DRIS. If you like, I can post a pic. I think it's better than the rolled up webbing.

Come on...you can't say, " Mine is better" without posting pics to back it up :D lol

I've got a request.

Can you make a jig for gluing drysuit wrist seals at home? I've found the hardest part is the setup, setting up so the wrist of the suit is fully in tension. Something like a stepped cone so that the suit wrist is fully filled, and once the seal is rolled on, a good surface to secure it with bands to keep pressure on it. Finding the right size jar is a pain. I can only imagine if you have a family of drysuit divers, it would be a huge benefit having some sort of jig, and not everyone can send their suits in, especially if you're changing several at once. I figure you could find something that would work for 99% of drysuit cuffs, and it would be a boon for someone diving dry on a liveaboard, only risking one day of diving at most instead of a whole trip.

(Yeah, the real answer is get a ring system, but someone people don't like them or their hands are too big, etc.)

Could always try a pair of GI issue jungle boots. You can get them super cheap from a surplus store and they make them in whatever size you need. You'd just wear neoprene booties underneath. Not exactly what you want, but an option at least.
You mean like a plastic subway cup filled with great foam?

IMG_20150916_201030.jpg BEHOLD! Didn't mean to come off snooty. Set up this way, I can open and close with one hand, and likely could do it with mittens as well. The curve not only adds dimension, it also gives the flap enough rigidity to open with ease.
Come on...you can't say, " Mine is better" without posting pics to back it up :D lol

Didn't mean to come off snooty. .

Wasn't taking it that way at all :wink:

Looks awesome and a GREAT idea!!!

---------- Post added September 17th, 2015 at 01:17 PM ----------

$20 seems like a good price point.Wrist seals really should be a home repair job. I'd hesitate to do a neck seal or even think about a zipper, but I see no reason why replacing wrist seals shouldn't be something that every drysuit diver knows how to do.

Don't get me wrong, I love my SiTechs on my Fusion, and travel with spare silicon seals for them, but there's no reason why glue-on seals shouldn't be almost as easy for someone to do at home. It seems like seals and glue are available everywhere.

Done :D

Wrist Seal Form - Dive Right in Scuba

If that is cup full of foam wrapped in tape. Looks good, and oddly familiar.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

What do you expect for $20? Looks like it is all "form"/function.

OK my dumb question of the day I'm going to replace the silicone seals on my fusion with the latex ones but my necktight ring didn't come with the tool to do it. Do I use the convex or concave end of my window screen roller tool to reseat the yellow lock ring on the suit? I'm thinking the concave end but what does the actual tools wheel look like?

Convex. You're trying to set it down as deep as it can get.

Back
Top Bottom