Drysuit sizing advice? (Hollis, Bare, Whites)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akivisuals

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been looking around at different drysuits for several months now and have been having a bit of a hard time with it. Locally, most shops don't stock drysuits and even if they do, they rarely carry a size that would fit me. I'm 5'4", 145 lbs, 32" waist, 37" chest, 28" inseam, size 7 mens boots.

I purchased a Hollis Biodry FX-100 used in a size S last week and got the suit a few days ago. It was in good condition but seemed very big (long in the arms/legs/torso) and baggy. There was some bunching going on in the waist/hip area. Their size specs looked pretty good for the most part with the exception of height. It listed size S as being 66"-68". After trying on the suit it seems like an XS would be a better fit with the exception of my mid-40s slight belly bulge. Is this a suit that I should try to resell?

There is also a new/never dove (although built in 2006) Whites Catalyst Classic suit that I can buy at a substantially lower price. It's $450. and the size specs seem to fit a bit better but with somewhat similar height issues. It was built for a person 5'6". This suit has built in boots in a mens size 7 (perfect for me) and seems to be a great deal. I know that some things can be altered a bit. Since it's a boot vs. built in sock (Hollis uses the same material as the suit) I would think that the legs might be easier to shorten. Any idea how much these types of alterations cost? The latex seals are apparently supple like a new suit. The zipper operates smoothly. The material still flexible and supple. Might this be a better option?

Finally, I've been speaking to my LDS about ordering a new Bare Tech Dry. The suit looks pretty good off the rack in a size S and I also have the ability to shorten the arms 1" and legs up to 2" making for a semi-custom fit. The issue is the price. I don't have a ton of $$ to spend on a drysuit but I'd like to stay warm in my local SoCal waters. My 7mm Bare Arctic with 5/3 hooded vest still gets cold for me when the temps hit around 60.

Both the Hollis and Whites have pockets which I like since I have none on my BP/W setup. They are all diagonal front zip designs. And they all seem like pretty decent options. I already own the Hollis but am concerned about the fit and am thinking that maybe the Whites would be a more cost effective option for a suit that could potentially fit much better. Thoughts? Suggestions?

My opinion is that you should only buy new dry suits from someone who sells a lot of the brand of dry suit you are buying. Or if you can try out the "correct" size of suit in the water by renting it or something.

I'm not a fan of the Bare Tech Dry. I have one and the exhaust valve is positioned correctly only if you normally dive rolled on your back (looking up at the sky). Plus the factory pockets fall off because they use the wrong glue. But it doesn't leak and it is pretty strongly built.

If you are buying it used I'd really want to dive it before paying the big bucks. 20 minutes in a pool would show if fits and if you can do the things you need and if it is seriously leaking. But do it wearing the full set of undergarments you plan to use in the water. Yes, this will suck in an 80 degree pool, but finding that you cannot reach something important when you jump off the boat in 50 degree water would suck more.

I've only had dry suit modifications done by Gamble Scuba in Gainsville FL. I recommend them, but it is about as far from you as you can get. I'm sure their are some decent ones in a lot closer.

Perhaps you can have the suit you already own altered to make it fit you better. There are many operations in the US that have repair and alteration service for drysuits.

Since you live in SoCal, DUI is probably very close to you and they do custom suits. If you decide to buy a new suit and can't get the one you have to fit you properly with customization, I would recommend you buy DUI. They also DEMO days where you get to try their suits as well as their thermals. Go the mfg. section and put a post there in the DUI area and they will let you know the schedule of their DEMO days. I am certain that they will take care of you and point you in the right direction.

After reading your posts I can first tell that you're between an XS and a S on the Hollis size chart. So you would have to give and take there, and not really get a good fit.

The White's suit may be a little closer for you with just the 2" height difference, but depending on your torso proportions that could be a biggie.

With respect to the Bare, the alterations you may find will jack up the price to more than you could get a custom suit for(we charge between 150 and 350 for a fully custom suit above what an off the rack one would be...so check what the alterations would cost).

While I understand(and sometimes I feel like I wrote the book on) money being tight, you may find that it's worth it in the long run to tolerate the wetsuit for a bit longer and save up for the right drysuit with a correct fit. After all no matter what you pay for a drysuit it isn't worth much if you don't dive it because it doesn't work for you.

Thanks! Unfortunately, that Whites drysuit sold this evening. I do feel that I'm somewhere in between XS and S in the Hollis. I'd actually think the XS might be a better fit. I guess I'll have to try looking around still to see what will work for me. Maybe my proportions just aren't suited well to an off the rack solution...

Akivisuals, feel free to email me at mike@diverightinscuba.com and we can go over some other options! I know there can be a lot of choices for suits, but I think we can quickly narrow down the suits you are looking at and get you to the perfect suit based on your needs.

Thanks Mike. Fortunately, I found a used, very inexpensive DUI CF200x that is sized almost perfectly for me. Just need to get the seals replaced and do some pool time in it.

Thanks Mike. Fortunately, I found a used, very inexpensive DUI CF200x that is sized almost perfectly for me. Just need to get the seals replaced and do some pool time in it.

AWESOME!! Congrats on the find. Enjoy your new suit, and don't be afraid to replace the seals yourself or step up and get a replaceable seal system so it's a quick swap in the future!

wrong forum. ops

I was thinking of getting some Si-Tech Glove Lock dry gloves installed. Initially, I was going to do a Si-Tech neck seal system as well but Steve Gamble told me that it may overlap the zipper which would be a PITA if I ever needed to replace the zipper. He also said that sometimes the rim for the seal digs into the shoulders of some people especially with a heavy rig. That has me re-thinking the neck seal system...

Back
Top Bottom