DS50 / DS126/160 selector switch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am using sets of both DS125 and DS51 strobes, in combination with an Ikelite 70D housing.

After using the DS125 for a while, I changed back to the DS51 for some macro dives. On a trip I forgot to set the switch to DS51.

I had a lot of trouble getting enough light on the subjects. Could that be attributable to not setting the switch properly ? I had both the housing and the strobes on manual settings.

Gerard

Gerard,

The DS51 has less power and a narrower angle of coverage. So, that could be why you have trouble getting enough light on the subjects. The DS51 should be good for macro though. The switch affects the manual power settings only. If you have it set for DS160 and are using the housing in manual flash mode, your manual flash durations are going to be longer, which will result in brighter images than you expected.

For macro you may not need a diffuser which would cut down light output by half a stop.

Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

Back
Top Bottom