DSS complete singles rig vs. Transpac 2 w/ trek wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks guys Ill probobly be making the purchase till the end of the summer, right now I'm leaning toward the DSS but will still do more research.

I know that the DSS rig doesn't use the STA but when the wing is deflated does anyone have a problem with the tank wobbling???

divermike1989:
I know that the DSS rig doesn't use the STA but when the wing is deflated does anyone have a problem with the tank wobbling???

None whatsoever. The wing has a couple of built in "tank holders" made of some sort of elastometric material. I have no idea what that means. Tobin may certainly chime in here. It feels like a sort of firm, rubbery material. It keeps that tank solid as can be either in or out of the water. No wobble at all. Zero.

divermike1989:
No ... wing inflation doesn't have anything to do with tank support.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Are you talking about the TransPac or the TransPlate? The TransPlate has the SS BP like the DSS rig. The TransPac has a soft Backpac similar to a traditional BC. My buddy dives a TransPlate & loves it. I have a hienz 57 BP/W & love it. My harness is the DSS comfort harness that is similar to the dive rite TransPlate harness.

If you make sure your cam straps are secure, your tank will not wobble regardless if you use an STA or not. I have an STA, but only use it when I use a full wetsuit.

Thanks I didn't know that the wing had them in it already. Forgive me I am kinda new to the BP/W thing and this will be my first system....

Tobin may chime in but probably won't, he's busy getting ready for the Long Beach Scuba Show... I own a dive rite BP/W with their old "deluxe" harness wich came with a chest strap and swivel d ring on the chest. The harness started to frey so I replaced it with a hog harness... I like it better... I work at/manage a shop that sells DR, our top seller is the Transpac. Once adjusted its a good all around BC that leaves the chest area wide open (I hate the feel of a jacket BC). If you opt for the ditchable weight pockets, its so bulky that you'd might as well be in a jacket bc again. While in the neighborhood today I stopped by and said hi to Tobin. He took time from preping for the show and give me a tour of his place, WOW! Nice setup (and thank you Tobin). He makes almost everything right there in house, total quality control. I saw the press and dies where he stamps the backplate, he was explaining how he does the injection molding... all kinds of cool stuff. He was showing me his different wings and all the great options that he dreamed up and I was amazed no one else had ever thought of these things. I could look and feel the quality difference between what I already have and what he is offering. He has rolls of material and an ultrasonic welder to make the wings right there. I am looking for another rig for my doubles so I don't have to swap out wings and tanks. I can get keyman pricing on DR right now, but honestly I think I will be buying the DSS. And damn straint you'ld better believe I'm going to be doing all I can to get his gear in my store!

Stephen Ash:
Why limit yourself to these two?

I like that a lot better.

divermike1989:
I've been looking at the DSS complete singles rig and the transpac 2 w/ trek wing. Can anyone recommend one or the other based on experiences and pros/cons please. to give you an idea of what kind of diving I'm going to use it for. I'll be taking rescue in september, DM nexdt year, and am applying to 3 military academies w/ hopes of becoming a military diver. I will also be getting into tech diving when I turn 18. When I do I would get a bigger wing w/ more lift but until them I wan't to stick to the singles wing and get use to the BP/W.

By-the-way, A better comparrision would be the DSS Singles rig comparred to the Transpac with a Venture or Travel Wing. The Rec wing is pretty big. 51 lbs lift I think.

Don Janni:
By-the-way, A better comparrision would be the DSS Singles rig comparred to the Transpac with a Venture or Travel Wing. The Rec wing is pretty big. 51 lbs lift I think.

I wrote trek wing but the venture might be a better idea for now anyway.

Back
Top Bottom