Duck dive for descent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Zinman

Zinman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Newly certified diver here.

Can you duck dive from surface to descend with all your gear on your back?

I recently floated up to the surface during a recreational dive (my buoyancy control not established yet), (I am very accustomed to duck diving in non scuba environments) - but found I couldn't duck dive or even swim downwards from surface as the gear kept weighing me down in the opposite direction. Was the first time I tried it, as deflation on BCD wasn't working.

It's unfortunately easy to get in the habit of overweighting yourself to compensate for incomplete emptying of the gas bladder on your BCD. I always lean back slightly to burp the last bubble of gas in my BCD prior to exhaling and descending. Also critical to relax your body and avoid unnecessary kicking or arm movements during first 5 feet or so. I generally think about allowing my body to descend and slowly fall forward into a horizontal position. Takes a bit of practice but becomes much easier as you learn to relax in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom