Dumb AOW question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The idea of a custom AOW curriculum is a common hoax. In my experience the instructor usually has a preferred set of dives that he puts his candidates through. It may still be negotiable. Right off the top there will be 2 or 3 mandated by the agency.

OK, we are looking to get AOW certified this summer after quite a number of years of diving. A buddy of ours is no longer teaching classes since he's started a family, etc. He had mentioned a few of the specialty dives we could do with him that I cannot seem to find on any of the local dive shops because they all seem to offer the same 3 dives (on top of the 2 you have to take). So it looks like we are stuck with those.

But....

...I understand there are technically like 18 or so different dives we COULD potentially do for our AOW 3 specialty dives. So what are they? I can't seem to find them on PADI's site. Any help?

OK, I'm officially confused now. I currently am PADI OW. I am PADI Nitrox certified. I have one of two drysuit dives remaining for PADI Drysuit certification. Do my full certifications count towards AOW, or do I have to do additional "Adventure" dives? It doesn't make sense (to me) to just dip a toe into a subject, completing the entire course does.
Yes they should count, for the equivalent Adventure dive. To become PADI AOW you will now need (either as Adventure dives, or as full specialties) Navigation, Deep, and one other.

Yes they should count, for the equivalent Adventure dive. To become PADI AOW you will now need (either as Adventure dives, or as full specialties) Navigation, Deep, and one other.

Thank you. That was what I thought the logical answer was, but you know.....

The idea of a custom AOW curriculum is a common hoax. In my experience the instructor usually has a preferred set of dives that he puts his candidates through. It may still be negotiable. Right off the top there will be 2 or 3 mandated by the agency.

Thanks! Yes, he's given us the option of a few others (that he is actually able to do. ex: can't do drift in a quarry) but we've opted to stick with the original 3 optional ones he's suggested based on the group of us that are taking the class together.

Good to know...and that's what I thought.

Thank you. That was what I thought the logical answer was, but you know.....

Better to be safe....

My earlier answer was incomplete. In TomZ’s particular case there could be another bug in the ointment.

Since dives are now optional for the Nitrox course, one can get the specialty and not have done a dive on Nitrox.
But attaining AOW requires 5 different Adventure dives. So if you did the non-diving Nitrox option, you need another dive for AOW. It could be a Nitrox dive, or any of the others not yet done.

My earlier answer was incomplete. In TomZ’s particular case there could be another bug in the ointment.

Since dives are now optional for the Nitrox course, one can get the specialty and not have done a dive on Nitrox.
But attaining AOW requires 5 different Adventure dives. So if you did the non-diving Nitrox option, you need another dive for AOW. It could be a Nitrox dive, or any of the others not yet done.

Fortunately I'm using the same instructor for Dry Suit I got my Nitrox cert from (without dives). My first drysuit checkout dive was on 32% O2. Guess I'll need to have him sign off the Adventure Dive, since the 6 nitrox dives I did in Cozumel, or the first drysuit dive don't count :confused4:.

Almost finished reading through the 5 sections for the dives we'll be doing for AOW (as well as skimming through a few other sections). I'm glad to have the book....even just to ensure that we are still doing everything correctly. :) We've now decided that we are going to go on to get Rescue certified after so we are signed up for the 2nd weekend in September for that one (with our First Responder training in late August).

I would recommend a night dive for one of the AOW dives, if you have an option. The drysuit and navigation dive, along with the deep dive, would also be quite valuable. And, finally, PPB.
I read the whole book but probably wouldn't, in hindsight. Most of it is just advertisement for PADI specialty classes that I'll never take.
For children, they might really enjoy one of the special dives like fish ID.

My AOW class is completely custom. In that I wrote it, developed the dives, set the skills for the dives, developed all the classroom materials and lessons (6-8 hours of classroom), and set the entry and exit standards. Much like Bob's (NW Grateful). There are set dives- Advanced Skills, Underwater Nav, Night/Low(read zero at times)Vis, Deep, Search and Recovery or Wreck, and Buddy Skills and Assist (think intro to rescue. on steroids.). I do not offer any other options. However one may decide that they want to do an additional Deep or Underwater Nav in place of the S&R or Wreck. No problem with that but we will still work in practice with a lift bag somewhere:wink:.

I set these dives to impart the skills that most of the divers that come to me are looking for. I don't do boat dive, fish ID, or altitude but do cover altitude procedures in the gas and deco planning portions. I do not allow divers fresh out of OW to enter this class. I require ten dives post OW cert for those I trained in OW and for those I do not know ten dives and two eval dives with me at no charge to see if your skills are up to this class. To enter you need to perform all basic skills - mask r&r, reg r&r, weight belt r&r, and air shares neutral and horizontal without changing depth more than two feet. By the end of this we will have that down to one foot.

You also must know tables and how to use them as all dives will be tracked on them and we will be doing square profiles as much as possible so buoyancy control and trim are critical. No one has ever failed this class as it is really set up for you to succeed and take your skills to the next level. The more experienced you are the tougher I make the course. Good at Nav already? We'll test that:eyebrow:. Know how to help a buddy? we'll ratchet that up so you can help me. I will be doubles and carrying a stage (or two):shocked2:.

I do workshops for those who need remediation in whatever area is necessary to enter the class before hand. These are low cost and designed to the individual and have one purpose. To improve those areas necessary to enter and pass the AOW class. It is a pass or fail and certification is not guaranteed by me. It is guaranteed by you and the effort you put in to it. We train until you get it or give up.

My AOW class is completely custom. In that I wrote it, developed the dives, set the skills for the dives, developed all the classroom materials and lessons (6-8 hours of classroom), and set the entry and exit standards. Much like Bob's (NW Grateful). There are set dives- Advanced Skills, Underwater Nav, Night/Low(read zero at times)Vis, Deep, Search and Recovery or Wreck, and Buddy Skills and Assist (think intro to rescue. on steroids.). I do not offer any other options. However one may decide that they want to do an additional Deep or Underwater Nav in place of the S&R or Wreck. No problem with that but we will still work in practice with a lift bag somewhere:wink:.

I set these dives to impart the skills that most of the divers that come to me are looking for. I don't do boat dive, fish ID, or altitude but do cover altitude procedures in the gas and deco planning portions. I do not allow divers fresh out of OW to enter this class. I require ten dives post OW cert for those I trained in OW and for those I do not know ten dives and two eval dives with me at no charge to see if your skills are up to this class. To enter you need to perform all basic skills - mask r&r, reg r&r, weight belt r&r, and air shares neutral and horizontal without changing depth more than two feet. By the end of this we will have that down to one foot.

You also must know tables and how to use them as all dives will be tracked on them and we will be doing square profiles as much as possible so buoyancy control and trim are critical. No one has ever failed this class as it is really set up for you to succeed and take your skills to the next level. The more experienced you are the tougher I make the course. Good at Nav already? We'll test that:eyebrow:. Know how to help a buddy? we'll ratchet that up so you can help me. I will be doubles and carrying a stage (or two):shocked2:.

I do workshops for those who need remediation in whatever area is necessary to enter the class before hand. These are low cost and designed to the individual and have one purpose. To improve those areas necessary to enter and pass the AOW class. It is a pass or fail and certification is not guaranteed by me. It is guaranteed by you and the effort you put in to it. We train until you get it or give up.

Hi Jim! Wow, thanks for the info. This sounds a lot like what our LDS is doing. We are meeting up with him soon just to do a 'test dive' since he doesn't know us. I'm actually VERY glad he is doing this.

This weekend we are heading up to a relatively close limestone quarry to dive with some friends. I plan to practice quite a few skills to prep us for meeting up with our LDS soon after.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom