Dutch Springs Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Damn.. so sad.

I hope there is a positive outcome for this young woman.

"Divers were the first to respond, although there was a delay because the first group the husband approached did not speak English and didn't understand enough to respond. A different group of divers followed up and then the DS crew in the boat"

Yeah. Like I need to read shakespeare's pieces in original to know whats goin on.

The first person that reached that couple was my bud, though he left all gear but fins on the platform to get there asap. When he got there woman was 4 feet below the surface and her buddy was holding her octopus with the rest of his strenght just to prevent her from going down. We dumped her equipment, but woman was already unconscious and did not respond to cpr performed by another diver that was around. In a short time DS staff boat was there and took woman aboard where my buddy continued improvised cpr.

"member of our group who was diving near the pump house during/after the incident and happened across the woman's gear on the bottom".

Do I know U?

BCD had a leak in a place where inflator hose was attached to the jacket thus i had to use my own wing to lift stuff from the bottom.

Prolly woman's inflator failed during dive and she tried to ascent swimming up with her buddy, however her gear was to heavy and in a confusion they struggled to stay on the surface instead of dropping all weights. At some point she got to tired.

I heard she is injured but alive. Hope she"ll be fine soon.

Last edited:
My wife and I were getting out of the water when the EMT was trying to revive her. I hope she is alright.

The first person that reached that couple was my bud, though he left all gear but fins on the platform to get there asap. When he got there woman was 4 feet below the surface and her buddy was holding her octopus with the rest of his strenght just to prevent her from going down. We dumped her equipment, but woman was already unconscious and did not respond to cpr performed by another diver that was around. ...
BCD had a leak in a place where inflator hose was attached to the jacket thus i had to use my own wing to lift stuff from the bottom.

Thank you, KSB. KSB, do you know if the injured diver had a weight belt or a weight-integrated BCD?

Thank you for helping in the emergency. Did you file a report on what you saw? If not, please do. I would recommend that you submit to the police, the family of the injured diver, Dutch Springs, and the agency of your choice.

Thank you, KSB. KSB, do you know if the injured diver had a weight belt or a weight-integrated BCD?

Thank you for helping in the emergency. Did you file a report on what you saw? If not, please do. I would recommend that you submit to the police, the family of the injured diver, Dutch Springs, and the agency of your choice.

would also be interesting not only if weight belt or integrated system used but how much lead she had on ,what is her physical size,wet suit or dry suit,was it a training dive? Probably an example of too much lead and a diver using a bcd as an "elevator" rather than having been shown proper buoyancy control methods or failing to use proper skills shown during ow course.
If you cannot EASILY stay on the surface with an completely empty bcd and breathing off your regulator or snorkel with out kicking or moving you have too much weight.

Does anyone know you?

"Divers were the first to respond, although there was a delay because the first group the husband approached did not speak English and didn't understand enough to respond. A different group of divers followed up and then the DS crew in the boat"

Yeah. Like I need to read shakespeare's pieces in original to know whats goin on.

The first person that reached that couple was my bud, though he left all gear but fins on the platform to get there asap. When he got there woman was 4 feet below the surface and her buddy was holding her octopus with the rest of his strenght just to prevent her from going down. We dumped her equipment, but woman was already unconscious and did not respond to cpr performed by another diver that was around. In a short time DS staff boat was there and took woman aboard where my buddy continued improvised cpr.

"member of our group who was diving near the pump house during/after the incident and happened across the woman's gear on the bottom".

Do I know U?

Prolly woman's inflator failed during dive and she tried to ascent swimming up with her buddy, however her gear was to heavy and in a confusion they struggled to stay on the surface instead of dropping all weights. At some point she got to tired.

I heard she is injured but alive. Hope she"ll be fine soon.

This is why I have added a Buddy Skills and Assist dive to my AOW course. One of the skills covered is loss of buoyancy ascent and assist. It's where I disconnect the students inflator and have their buddy bring them to the surface and keep them afloat until they dump weights, reconnect inflator, or ditch the gear. We also do an unconscious diver from depth in OW class.

I teach it both ways where the vic is conscious and where the vic is unconscious. We even cover dumping just a portion of the vic's weights should they be overweighted. Of course this should never be the case after my AOW or OW course as proper weighting in covered and insisted on from day one.

Woman hurt in scuba-diving accident at Dutch Springs has died, coroner says
by Express-Times
Thursday September 10, 2009, 2:14 PM
A 47-year-old Luzerne County woman died early today in connection with a scuba-diving accident that happened Sunday at Dutch Springs in Lower Nazareth Township, according to the Lehigh County Coroner's Office.

Paula Brodie, 47, of White Haven, Pa., was pronounced dead at 2:07 this morning. After an autopsy this morning, Lehigh County Coroner Scott Grim attributed the death to drowning. He ruled the death an accident, according to a news release

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom