Dutch Springs Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is why I have added a Buddy Skills and Assist dive to my AOW course. One of the skills covered is loss of buoyancy ascent and assist. It's where I disconnect the students inflator and have their buddy bring them to the surface and keep them afloat until they dump weights, reconnect inflator, or ditch the gear. We also do an unconscious diver from depth in OW class.

I teach it both ways where the vic is conscious and where the vic is unconscious. We even cover dumping just a portion of the vic's weights should they be overweighted. Of course this should never be the case after my AOW or OW course as proper weighting in covered and insisted on from day one.

Jim, I sure wish more instructors took the time to give "new" divers this kind of training. I wish I'd had it... I'll bet not too many of your former students get into situations they can't handle.

SIncere condolences to the family
Having gone through the experience of drowning (actually near-drowning technically speaking as I'm still here), I can understand a victim may not have be able to think straight even when confronted with what some may call a "simple" problem, once the process starts. Simple "logic" such as dropping a weight belt is not at the forefront of one's mind. Lots of basic instinct reflexes take over, panic is hard to avoid. The focus is easily drawn to trying to figure out where the source of the problem is (e.g. a failing reg to use a hypothetical example), rather than to think about where the back-up solution is. Even trained and experienced divers may behave in unpredictable ways. There is not much time to address the situation correctly.
I compared it to being involved in a car accident. You MAY be able to respond correctly if you are quick, but sometimes the situation may take over and you will respond instinctively, not necessarily adequately to correct the situation. Of course you are more likely to respond correctly if you had regular and repeated exposure to the same problem.
Reality of life is that diver training does not include further regular monthly repeat drills and practicing of skills to make us more self-sufficient in case of emergencies. Many of us get trained once or twice, some of us will take regular refresher courses, few of us are really trained in the "drown-proofing" repetitive way navy seals may experience, until the correct response becomes a true reflex action. I'm certainly not.
Of course we don't know 100% what happened, we just need to all be aware that it may be that nobody is to blame.
A lot of scenarios can be practiced and reflexes can be fine-tuned, but you can only expose a diver up to a certain level of experiences. When real **** happens, we may all still respond in ways we never imagine.

Having gone through the experience of drowning (actually near-drowning technically speaking as I'm still here), I can understand a victim may not have be able to think straight even when confronted with what some may call a "simple" problem, once the process starts.

Thank you for your post, UnderwaterFrank. Perhaps you would be willing to tell us about your experience. (Another thread might be a good way to do that.) I'm sure that readers would learn from it.

I came across this by accident when looking for another, more recent thread.

What is very interesting is what was initially reported and discussed here along with some other details. I will fill in a few details.

The deceased, Paula was one of the Paramedic students that I taught. She went on to become a full fledged Paramedic. I knew her from class, clinical at the different units that I worked on and because her boyfriend is also a Paramedic instructor and a very experienced Paramedic. We worked together as critical care flight paramedics.

Her boyfriend (not husband) speaks English. I have no idea where the comment came from about the "husband" not speaking English. He is a full blooded American with no accent so someone must have been confused or the story was twisted along the way. He works in a very stressful environment every single day and is in great physical condition. The comment about him not being able to perform a rescue is quite surprising. Between Paula, her boyfriend and myself, we have worked in thousands of stressful situations but of course when it is one of your own, it is quite different. Just thought I would add a few comments since I am always amazed at the incorrectness of the initial reports.

Back
Top Bottom