Dutch Springs July 9/10/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No reservations required.

All cooking must be done on a stove or grill. No grills supplied.

Lots of divers around. You should have no problem finding a buddy at any skill level.

Children and Grandmothers, hey my wife aint that old.

Yeah working on my Advanced soon and taking my drysuit class in 2 weeks. Anyone want to set me up with it this weekend with classes? I wished. My buddy said he wasn't going to get his Advanced and just came back from Cancu and tells me he went ahead and got it, he's just too chicken to do cold water. I went ahead and got a 7mm for this weekend and to see how it works. I am very warm natured, so may only need the drysuit for colder weather. Well I am going to pack for a "backpack" type trip with little camp stove and maybe even my water filter and stuff. See you all there.

I'm trying to find a little stove for us, but i think that breakfast will be on the run, lunch will be snack bars of some kind and we'll probably eat dinner as a group in order to continue class discussions while we stuff our faces. We'll mostly just be sleeping at the park. I think all you have to tell them is that you want to camp when you check in. I think it's $10 a head/night this year.

Sylvester, you're right - she's not that old. My neice is proabably older :wink: But really, would you let her use a torch in the great outdoors? I'm not going to answer for ya'.

-Frank

Ya, of course cause I am not allowed to play with fire. Besides since I am handicapped when it comes to cooking chow over fire that someone besides me is may or wants to eat, she does it, usally tastes a lot better then burnt.

Well, at least you're honest about your cooking skills. I'll know not to eat anything you cook :))

Daryl,

No reservations are required at DS. Unfortunately you can't have an open fire, but grills are allowed. They state that you can't have any alcohol on the grounds, but everyone brings it. As long as you put it in a cup, or use a beer hugger, no one says anything unless it gets really rowdy.

darylm74:
I am looking to make a trip to Dutch Springs the weekend of July 9-11 to finally make my first dive with one of the full members. I've never been to Dutch Springs and wanted to know if there were any other camp grounds around the area other than camping right at Dutch Springs. My wife and I would prefer to have an open fire and have a couple drinks if we choose and I read that the Dutch Springs camping facility allows neither. Could someone please let me know if there are others in the area that are nice and also if anyone is interested that weekend.

Thanks

Daryl

Hi All,

I'm leaving from MA to go to Dutch Springs tomorrow. We'll be diving Saturday and maybe Friday too.

I've never been before & I'm hoping to get advice on what dives to do in such a short stay period.

Also, how is the visibility & is there any underwater life (besides frogmen) to see? I'll be bringing my UW camera.

Thanks!

-Jessica
www.jessicavasale.com

nusspli:
Hi All,

I'm leaving from MA to go to Dutch Springs tomorrow. We'll be diving Saturday and maybe Friday too.

I've never been before & I'm hoping to get advice on what dives to do in such a short stay period.

Also, how is the visibility & is there any underwater life (besides frogmen) to see? I'll be bringing my UW camera.

Thanks!

-Jessica
www.jessicavasale.com

Hi Jessica,

Yeah, bring your camera. There's not a lot of underwater life but plenty of underwater attractions. You should be able to cover them all in two days. If you flip a few rocks and grab some crayfish, the fish that are there will be your best friend.

Definitely leave early and try to dive on Friday. I always find the vis better for pictures during the week (50+), before the hundreds of roto-tillers show up on the weekends. I'd cover all the attractions circling the helicopter first, then venture to the unmapped portions or the pump house when it gets crowded. You can get a similar paper copy of this map when you check in.

You might want to PM a few people in this thread, that will be there, and meet up with some of them. Maybe they'll show you the elusive dynamite shack.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom