Ear Infection/Clearup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesD

Contributor
Reaction score
Came back from a recent trip the caribbean with no real problems, after a day or so back my ear started to hurt (quite a lot) so I went to the doctors, was perscribed Amoxicillin and Pseudovent for congestion/middle ear infection.

Now (a bit over a week later) it felt almost cleared up until yesterday night when it started to hurt again and today it seems to be almost blocked entirely (some loss of hearing) with a clear fluid seeping from it (yuck!) and it hurts quite a bit again is this normal part of the drugs working or should I run screaming back to the doctor? Anyone have any ideas (and I realise they wouldn't be professional advice, just wondering if anyone else has had this happen).

This does not appear to be part of the "normal" healing process. I've observed a number of dive-related ear infections where amoxicillin was not fully effective, and it may be that it's not adequately eradicating your bug.

You absolutely should inform your physician of this development at your earliest possible convenience.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Thanks for the response, I went to the Doctor this afternoon (after a quick talk with them on the phone they didn't think that sounded normal either) and they put me in Biaxin XL which hopefully will cure this right up, I'm hoping because this has to be the most painful thing I can recall experiencing.

Yes, indeed they can be painful.

One would expect Biaxin XL to be effective, although I have a good dive buddy on whom it failed.

Be sure to follow your physician's instructions regarding keeping him or her informed of your response.

Heal quickly.

DocVikingo

Thanks Doc, hopefully the Biaxin XL will work because this does hurt quite a bit and makes the new job I might have starting monday a bit scary! Anyway, quick two questions for you..

1. In tablet form should I crunch up the Biaxin XL or swallow it whole? I called the doctors but got a mailbox and I need to take it soonish

2. Any ideas on a good way to remove enough gunk from my ear so I can hear again? Being totally deaf in one ear is a little scary and harsh and I'd like to be able to stop being deaf ASAP (it's amazing how much I didn't appriciate having my hearing before now!)

1. You should take them as directed by your physician. Manufacturer dosing directions are to take the tablet whole and with food.

2. Given the apparent condition of your ear, it would seem unwise to try to clean anything yourself beyond the customary washing of the outer ear. Call you physician if you believe that you need to do more than this.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

You may or may not know this but I hear that to avoid ear infections, it helps to have a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and rubbing alcohol. Put a couple of drops in each ear after each dive.

In the mean time, since you've developed an infection, keep doing what your doctor says. I understand this mixture won't help you right now and the alcohol may give you a very uncomfortable burning feeling.

Ear infections are very uncomfortable and painful so you have my sympathy. They're really hard to avoid so this suggestion is the only way I know. I hope this helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom