Ear infections - Any suggestions??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree - However I simply use 50/50 alcohol and vinegar. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
I'm more of a 75:25 for alcohol:white vinegar too much acidity can aggravate the external ear tissue but everyone is different so you may want to experiment a bit to be honest and find what's best for you.

I lost a few days diving in Indonesia last April due to irritable and itchy ears and I've changed my ear beer formula a bit which worked great when I returned to Indonesia in October and dived nine days straight with no issues.

1. Start regimen before first dive of trip, do not wait until your ear canals are itchy.
2. Start with clean, DRY ear canals.
3. Couple of drops of olive oil in each ear before first dive of day.
4. After last dive of day, rinse each ear with fresh (non salt) water.
5. Several drops of vinegar/alcohol solution to each side
6. Allow to drain thoroughly.
7. Don't use cotton swabs which may lightly abrade the canals and allow an entry point for bacteria.

7. Don't use cotton swabs which may lightly abrade the canals and allow an entry point for bacteria.
Swabs will also push wax into a hard blob, up against the eardrum...

To quote a Doctor friend... "Nothing in your ear that's smaller than your elbow!"

Swabs will also push wax into a hard blob, up against the eardrum...

To quote a Doctor friend... "Nothing in your ear that's smaller than your elbow!"
I use Q tips after each dive and then put in ear drops at the end of the dive day. No problems with water in the ear or pain, etc. I also have Q tipped my ears after every daily shower for about 60 years with no problems. But no doubt everyone is different regarding that.

I use Q tips after each dive and then put in ear drops at the end of the dive day. No problems with water in the ear or pain, etc. I also have Q tipped my ears after every daily shower for about 60 years with no problems.
Perhaps you should make an instructional video! ;-)

Just throwing an alternate cause out there..

Are you bathing with potable/drinkable water?? I have seen and had ear infections from 4 star hotel showers. Main thing is to treat all water in ears the same to reduce the risk.

Good luck

I don't use the 50/50 mix, just 100% isopropyl alcohol.

Frequent rinses after each dive & shower.

I use Q tips after each dive and then put in ear drops at the end of the dive day. No problems with water in the ear or pain, etc. I also have Q tipped my ears after every daily shower for about 60 years with no problems. But no doubt everyone is different regarding that.
Haven't done it for 60 years, but well over a few decades, nary a problem. Be smart about it. Any Dr I see always comments about how clean my ears are.. um yeah, cause I Q-tip almost daily!

For me, it's always a water quality issue. I lived in a city that had great surf, and it seemed like whenever I got an ear infection, it was because I was out there after a heavy rain. I try to totally avoid swimming pools as well.

Haven't done it for 60 years, but well over a few decades, nary a problem. Be smart about it. Any Dr I see always comments about how clean my ears are.. um yeah, cause I Q-tip almost daily!
Right. Don't dig too far. Like when I was in gym in HS playing center seeking the ball
in football class and coach says "Heimer, you digging for gold?".

Back
Top Bottom