Ear Plugs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

would this not be DIR?

or would it not apply to something like this.

just curious, I'm not dir but it seams to me like this is something that is just not needed, if you were at depth in cold water and one popped out you'd have cold water flooding into your ear, I dont' think I'd like that.

FIXXERVI6 once bubbled...
if you were at depth in cold water and one popped out you'd have cold water flooding into your ear, I dont' think I'd like that.

You bet you wouldn't like that. You just described what's called a Cold Caloric Test. It results in the Oculovestibular Reflex and is used in coma patients to test for brain stem activity. The lovely side effects are nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and posturing. Sound like a fun dive huh?

I have been an avid surfer for over 30 years and have developed exostoses. Huh? :D Now if I don't wear ear plugs when going in the water, even warm water, the water gets in my ear canals and doesn't want to come out. Drives me nuts (not to mention the people around me that I keep asking to repeat their communications to me). So, I always wear plugs when surfing, waterskiing or swimming. Now that I'm getting into snorkeling/diving, I need to find a different kind of plug that can be used with a hood. I tried Docs for surfing a long time ago when they first came on the market. They seemed to work okay, but didn't fit me very well. I'm going to try another pair of them for diving and see what results.
EER

Back
Top Bottom