East coaster scooter diving Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy g

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone,

I am heading out west to see family back home over the holidays and will be diving Monterey while there.

I am a experienced solo, drysuit, side mount, scooter diver and want to know where is the best place to get in for beach entry and which way to head to find some cool stuff once I am in? I am just doing 1 long dive while there and want to make the best of it.:cool2:

Are dive floats manditory like Florida ow dives? I wouldn't think so with all the kelp.

are you diving solo? pt lobos doesn't allow it, but has the best diving in the area. baue has some maps of the area

Point Lobos Underwater Maps

breakwater is a good cross section of what you see with diving in the area (usually good for a couple sea lions, a seal or two, maybe an otter, and the metridium fields). limited kelp cover though. breakwater wall and metridium fields are the two areas most people dive.

monastery has bigger fish, usually better vis, and a fair amount of kelp on the south side still. either head left (west) from the south entry or right (northeast) from the north entry.

dive flags aren't mandatory like in florida.

Hey Randy, just give me a call. If I can't make it down, one of my scooter buddies might be able to show you around. Pt. Lobos is nice and Stillwater cove is one of my favorites. In Monterey Bay, you can get in at the breakwater and scooter down to Lovers Point.

Most of the boats will let you take your scooter and just explore. Beachhopper 2 is supposedly running during the week over the holidays. Beachhopper II

Dive floats are not needed or recommended.

Happy holidays,
Jon

Thanks guys.

After I posted this I though, **** I should have just called Jon. Thanks and I will give you a holler once I am in state and heading towards the coast.

I am also heading out from Boston for a week on NYE and I'll probably just bring my mask and computer and gear up with a shop. A have a few questions:
-do they rent scooters (I'd never thought of that)?
-Does anyone spear on Scuba and, if so, where?
-recommend a good shop
-Is this the best sub-board to find a buddy?

Cheers and thanks!

1) breakwater scuba rents some. i think the beachhopper does too if you're diving with them.

2) you can spear in carmel/pacific grove or up in the north bay. just make sure to not spear in a protected area (pt lobos/monterey mostly).

3) any water sports if in SJ. or go with breakwater scuba if you're planning to rent a dpv from them anyways.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom