EOS Free-flow a common problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

checkyourmirrors

Registered
Reaction score
I bought an EOS a couple of months ago and recently I went to adjust the breathing setting to "easy" and the reg began to free flow. A quick turn to pre-dive stopped the free flow. In another situation I was in post dive mode and went to adjust the breathing to easier and again same problem.

I took it in for service and was told his was not uncommon but the reg was so new Oceanic hasn't said/done anything yet. I've read on one of the thee forums a couple of other divers having similar problems and wanted to find out what is up and if there is any official word.

The problem seems simple but at psi that is all within spec, I don't think the reg should ever free-flow as a "normal" occurance.

Sounds like something you have complete control over with the user adjustment. Remember, right next to optimal performance is a freeflow. If the tech adjusts the reg so you can't cause a freeflow on the surface, you will not be able to be adjusted for optimal performance under some more difficult conditions.

The adjustment proceedures for all the Oceanic 'Adjustable' regs seems to be the same. The manual listed for the EOS and the DELTA 4 is the same on the Oceanic website, so I guess it is the same for all of them. The instructions in the manual refer to the "DELTA 3", but just apply it to your EOS.
This instructions work fine for me, just turn the knob until you hear it hiss, then turn it back about 1/2 a turn - AND LEAVE IT !!! :D

The Delta 3 provides a breathing effort adjustment (knob on the side of the body) that enables
you to adapt breathing performance to different diving conditions.

• By turning the adjustment knob 'clockwise' breathing resistance (effort) is increased.
    This is done to prevent undesirable loss of breathing gas (free flowing) that often occurs
    when a high performance regulator second stage is connected as an octopus second
    stage, or when the primary second stage is not in the diver’s mouth, such as
    when surface snorkeling.

• Turning the adjustment knob 'counter clockwise' decreases breathing resistance and
    reduces work of breathing. Adjustment should be used to improve performance, it
    should not be used as a method to use less breathing gas. During periods of heavy
    exertion underwater, and to compensate for the effects of depth, it is advantageous to have a regulator that can provide minimal inhalation resistance and optimal performance when desired.

NOTE: Rotation of the Delta 3 adjustment knob does not rotate the poppet seat against the sealing face.

Normal Pre Dive Setting -
  • To set the Delta 3 to an average breathing resistance, 1 to 11/2 column inches of water (common factory setting), attach the first stage to an appropriate cylinder and open the valve to pressurize the regulator.
  • Rotate the adjustment knob 'counter clockwise' until leakage is heard, then rotate the knob clockwise 1/2 to 1 turn.

High Flow Setting -
  • When diving deep, facing a long swim up current, or during other periods of heavy exertion, it is desirable to make the Delta breathe as easy as possible. This setting should be used only when necessary to avoid loss of air that may occur due to the Delta's extra sensitivity at this setting.
  • To adjust the Delta for minimum breathing resistance, rotate the adjustment knob 'counter clockwise' until a slight flow of air begins, then rotate the knob 'clockwise' until the flow stops.
  • Frequently monitor your air supply when the Delta is adjusted for maximum flow.

Preventing Air Loss -
  • To prevent free-flow when the Delta is out of your mouth, or when connected as an octopus second stage, rotate the adjustment knob 'clockwise' several turns. At the surface, place the Delta 3's Pre-Dive / Dive switch in the left (-) position (Pre-Dive) to reduce, or eliminate, free-flow.
  • Remember, increasing inhalation resistance can prevent undesirable air loss. It will not conserve air while you are breathing from the Delta.

Storage Setting -
  • At the conclusion of a diving day, or when storing the Delta for any length of time, rotate the adjustment knob 'counter clockwise' until it stops. This relieves excess spring pressure from the poppet seat increasing its service life.
  • Immediately prior to the next dive, reset the adjustment to the normal pre dive setting by turning the adjustment knob 'clockwise' 1/2 to 1 turn.

There's nothing wrong with your reg, the behavior you describe is by design.

Delta IVs do this as well.

If your reg free-flows, turn it mouthpiece down and it will stop. Or flip the dive switch to surface. Or turn down the breathing effort adjustment.

As others have stated this can be easily handled using the controls once you understand them but is typical of any high quality adjustable regulator. You could set it so freeflows at the surface would be eliminated but to attain maximum performance it will generally be on the edge of freeflow and is best backed off just slightly and remember to use the surface switch. I have recently switched to a Delta IV and have the same problem if you forget the switch you'll get a reminder in the way of a freeflow. If the switch doesn't control it them you just need to adjust the reg down a little. With the EOS or Delta IV if it was freeflowing at the surface with the switch set correctly then it was probably pushing the air down your throat anyway.

Hi, I also have free flow issues. Both setting switch to pre-dive before resurfacing and after resurfacing. Breathing adjustment knob set over one clockwise turn from full anti-clockwise lock position. Bought FDX10 and EOS reg second hand and had full service. Free flow stopped eventually after turning reg upside down. This cannot be normal. Does anyone have any information that might be useful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom