EPIC dives in morehead city yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yardpro

Contributor
Reaction score
Morehead City, North Carolina, United States
# of dives
0 - 24
OMG... what awesome dives...

Yesterday I went out on to dives with a friend on his boat.

the first dive was at a secret spot.. i cant disclose the numbers, they were given my a commercial fisherman under the promise we would be fish bait if we gave them out....

all i can say is that it was on the east side of the cape shoals...

Vis was AWESOME, 70' plus. water temps were mid 60's... it was a rock knob with channels cut out. i looked like grand caymen where we dove in January.... AWESOME Dive....

there was a bit if current, so we did not venture far from the anchor. We saw TONS of fish... we were able to shoot a few grouper, and trigger.
we saw HUGE sting ray (3) and there were schools of 2-3 foot amberjack swarming around us.

the second dive was on the way back in at the askabad...

OMG....

top to bottom visibility..you could see the wreck as soon as you put your mask in the water. you could even see the sand ripples...
much less current at this dive... and TONS OF FISH.....

when we anchored we saw tow turtles getting it on on the surface...
when we got down, there was a turtle swimming with us so close you could touch it..

MUCHO grouper.. at least 40 or 50....

lots of trigger,and spade fish the size of my chest...

my friend was getting a grouper off his spear onto his stringer and a big trigger swam up to him... he free speared it with his speargun spear in his hand, a grouper half on his stringer and his gun floating above his head....

we had to literally keep saying to ourselves.... STOP SHOOTING.....

those were probably the best dives i have ever had... and they are in my backyard.... OMG

---------- Post added May 4th, 2014 at 05:59 PM ----------

randy....

you dive with tortuga a bunch...

these dives are a must do...

I can get the numbers to Ken.... maybe...lol

So far i have dove the following places:
Roatan honduras, grand turk, nassau, st thomas/st john, st martin, cozumel, belieze, grand cayman........

these two dives were better than anything i have ever dove anywhere...

We had a day on the Ashkabad like that last summer. You got a gem, viz can be zero there when the current is rolling around the shoals.

Steve, sounds like you were out near the **** rock. There are some great ledges over there. May head over there this weekend with my spearfishing group. I have ledges only trip this Sat/Sun. I may have a couple of spots Saturday if you are interested. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom