Ever been caught without FQAS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pinecube

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone been caught, or know anyone that has been caught diving in Quebec without an FQAS card? I've heard of people being asked to show their card, but what happens if you dive without one? Is it just a fine? The "english" FQAS website just makes me wish I paid more attention in french class.

there's no scuba police...

some charters rarely ask for fqas card.... but i never been asked....

Only a way to put a tax on diving...

Wait, you're telling me you have to get another card to dive in Quebec? That's a load of bull****. So much for diving when I visit my friends in Montreal.

I think it does not apply to non -quebecers,

yep, Quebec IS a distinct society... just not always for the right reasons...

It does apply to visitors, but there is a temporary permit available.

Has anyone been caught, or know anyone that has been caught diving in Quebec without an FQAS card? I've heard of people being asked to show their card, but what happens if you dive without one? Is it just a fine? The "english" FQAS website just makes me wish I paid more attention in french class.
I live in Quebec and this is the first I've heard of it. You have to pay for it or is it insurance?

You 'need' to pay for it. It is a similar certification to padi with added surface skills and cold water proficiency. You could think of it as a regional hunting permit but without game wardens it seems.

Where you get your air fills should be able to fill you in on it.

Regards,
Cameron

P.s. if I ever get down to southern Quebec during a class I'll be getting my FQAS instructor rating to be able to teach in Quebec with out the temporary permits.

You 'need' to pay for it. It is a similar certification to padi with added surface skills and cold water proficiency. You could think of it as a regional hunting permit but without game wardens it seems.

Where you get your air fills should be able to fill you in on it.

Regards,
Cameron

P.s. if I ever get down to southern Quebec during a class I'll be getting my FQAS instructor rating to be able to teach in Quebec with out the temporary permits.
Someone I know dived at the FQAS place and wasn't asked for the card.
Sounds like most don't bother.

The card is what...$15?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom