Question Ever experienced Nitrogen Narcosis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm fairly sure I was narced on my first 130ft dive. For me, the main effect was that task-loading was much more difficult than normal. In hindsight, that dive was below my preferred safety standards.

On the positive side:
  • I followed a specific plan.
  • I very specifically planned to not go any deeper (and couldn't)
  • I kept a VERY close eye on my air remaining, and returned slightly early.
  • I stayed away from any potential hazards (overhead, entanglements, obstacles)
I don't think being narced is anything to be "terrified" about, but it may be something you'll want to experience at some point in a relatively controlled environment.

The problem with being narced is: you don't really know how it feels until you can compare it to being not narced at the same site and same depth.

Recently I did my first trimix dives at 40 to 50 metres at a site I know very well. I knew I was narced at previous 40 metre dives, but did not fully understand how narced I was until these dives. When using trimix my head was absolutely clear, being very aware of myself and my surroundings. When I'am narced, I'am very task focused, my mental capacity is limited. Also I did not enjoy those dives very much for being somewhat anxious. Trimix 18/45 made these dives really fun dives.

In over 4,500 dives (almost 500 over 40 metres), I think I have only ever been badly narced on two dives. The first was the first time I went to over 27 m (90 feet). I put this down to being a bit apprehensive about diving to this depth.

The second was on a deep wreck dive to 48 metres when I had tunnel vision and was a bit paranoid. As soon as I ascended five metres I was okay. On this dive I was tired as I had not slept well the night before.

I accept that I am narced on every dive over 30 metres, but I think I have now enough experience to take it into account.

About 90ish feet I start to feel narced...slight level of paranoia is my first indication and I begin to feel the "squeeze" So I set my floor at 80 ft. So if the dive goes to 100ft I usually elect to hover above the group at my 80ft floor. If the dive is planned for more than 100ft I don't go.

Attachments

• Corsair Divers.jpg
    Corsair Divers.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 43
For me 45m is the point where narcosis is noticeble, it rapidly escalates from there!
I recall back in the day a final 52m deco dive on the 'The Lady' (in her original position) on the President Coolidge in Vanuatu where I lost all peripheral vision (like looking through a tube with dark blurry edges) rising anxiety levels and the much denser air made a strange ringing sound as it passed through the reg with each breath.
These days 40m is my limit in warm tropical waters...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom