ever ruined a mask flaming it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would like to apologize to anyone who got their feathers rustled by the portion of the mask cleaning video which includes text mentioning a chemical reaction and toothpaste. I last had chemistry in High School and can’t provide the additional details which people are seeking.

The video is intended to pass on information and techniques to help our customers clean and prepare their masks prior to diving. In my experience, the toothpaste and also the lens burning (as shown in the video) both work quite well. It was my understanding that the use of a material which is excessively abrasive may have the potential to scratch the inside of the lens, especially if buffed very aggressively.

I’ve known some people to use both, first a mask burning, then a quick cleaning/removal of any black residue and then a treatment with toothpaste. We have not seen anyone damage their MAKO mask by using either the flame technique or toothpaste– so I assume they are following the video demonstration and getting good results.

We always welcome customer input and feedback and I really do appreciate people taking the time to watch our instructional videos.

Thanks for the feedback and please excuse the tardiness of my response; we had quite a bit of localized flooding in my neck of the woods in association with Mathew.

Thanks!
Dano

I have to ask again, has anybody actually ruined a mask by using a flame on a mask lens? If so, how so? And, lol, with what, a flame thrower? Photo please?

N

Yes, I don't buy the reaction between the burnt silicon gas residue with the toothpaste bit.

The phrase "silicon gas" residue is also confusing term as the elemental silicon is not in a gas state in ambient condition. It's in solid form like in integrated circuit (chips). Some silicon oil is actually hydrocarbon (e.g., methyl or CH3) attached to silicon & oxygen chain, like polydimethylsiloxane. Some of the very long chain of the polydimethylsiloxane compounding with other polymer, filler, coloring agent, etc., could form the flexible part of the mask.

So, assuming the silicon polymer, used to make the mask is coating the glass during the processing, when you burn it (flame it), you will brake down the silicon polymer coat to carbon (the black soot), silicon, silicon dioxide (SiO2 or sand) dust, CO & CO2 vapors. The toothpaste, I would guess would have mostly baking soda (sodium bicarbonate, NaHCO3), with slightly alkaline (pH 8.3), not basic enough to react with the soot & silicon dust. The toothpaste would more likely act like soap to scrub away those soot, silicon & silicon dioxide dust.

Last edited:
I have to ask again, has anybody actually ruined a mask by using a flame on a mask lens? If so, how so? And, lol, with what, a flame thrower? Photo please?

N

Don't need a flame thrower to do that. Just time, that is how long you flame it with the cigaret lighter. If you flame the edge of the glass long enough until you start seeing some smokes & observing some deformation on the glass frame. Only idiot or someone intentionally want to burn the mask will do that.

Yes, I don't buy the reaction between the burnt silicon gas residue with the toothpaste bit.

The phrase "silicon gas" residue is also confusing term as the elemental silicon is not in a gas state in ambient condition. It's in solid form like in integrated circuit (chips). Some silicon oil is actually hydrocarbon (e.g., methyl or CH3) attached to silicon & oxygen chain, like polydimethylsiloxane. Some of the very long chain of the polydimethylsiloxane compounding with other polymer, filler, coloring agent, etc., could form the flexible part of the mask.

So, assuming the silicon polymer, used to make the mask is coating the glass during the processing, when you burn it (flame it), you will brake down the silicon polymer coat to carbon (the black soot), silicon, silicon dioxide (SiO2 or sand) dust, CO & CO2 vapors. The toothpaste, I would guess would have mostly baking soda (sodium bicarbonate, NaHCO3), with slightly alkaline (pH 8.3), not basic enough to react with the soot & silicon dust. The toothpaste would more likely act like soap to scrub away those sooth & silicon dust.

Toothpaste uses calcium carbonate, dehydrated silica gels, hydrated aluminum oxides, magnesium carbonate, phosphate salts and silicates. As you know, silicone adheres very well to glass. Any abrasive compound when rubbed against the inside of the lens will rapidly remove the silicone deposit. Some toothpastes are insufficiently abrasive resulting in frustrated users seeking flamethrowers, acetylene torches and Bunsen burners to do what could easily be accomplished with good old elbow grease and a dab of Colgate.

Note: The "detritus" is silicone - not silicon. One is an element, the other a polymer of which the skirts are usually made. They are often confused. ICs contain silicon which is an elemental crystalline metalloid.

Toothpaste uses calcium carbonate, dehydrated silica gels, hydrated aluminum oxides, magnesium carbonate, phosphate salts and silicates. As you know, silicone adheres very well to glass. Any abrasive compound when rubbed against the inside of the lens will rapidly remove the silicone deposit. Some toothpastes are insufficiently abrasive resulting in frustrated users seeking flamethrowers, acetylene torches and Bunsen burners to do what could easily be accomplished with good old elbow grease and a dab of Colgate.

Note: The "detritus" is silicone - not silicon. One is an element, the other a polymer of which the skirts are usually made. They are often confused. ICs contain silicon which is an elemental crystalline metalloid.

Yes, silicon & silicone are sounding similar & confusing me. If he said silicone rubber residue then I get it.

I used sea gold on my 1st mask & it took me about 100 dives before the inside glass stayed clear during the entire dive. When I got my 2nd & 3rd masks, after flaming them & scrubbing the inside glass with toothpaste & foam pad once, the lens stay clear right away. I do apply the baby shampoo prior each dives too on the 2nd & 3rd masks.

...//... As you know, silicone adheres very well to glass. Any abrasive compound when rubbed against the inside of the lens will rapidly remove the silicone deposit. ...//...
Spot on.

I have a lot of masks, mostly use a junker with replaceable lenses. Mask fogging in cold water is a serious pain.
Snorkel mask fogging/steaming up...

That stuff in the post above is hard to find, promised to look for something retail. Try this
Just know that I've never tried it. No need to. But I'm guessing that it should work.

If anyone tries this, please report your experience with it. Thx.

Last edited:
Why bother to search and buy special compounds when a 3min job with a borrowed ligther works in combination with baby shampoo.

We dive cold water with no fogging at all with those simple tricks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom