Exercise and Depression

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debraw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Reposted from WebMD after a Google search:

Exercise and Depression

Want to learn more about exercise and depression? Many studies indicate that people who exercise regularly benefit with a positive boost in mood and lower rates of depression.
What are the psychological benefits of exercise with depression?

Improved self-esteem is a key psychological benefit of regular physical activity. When you exercise, your body releases chemicals called endorphins. These endorphins interact with the receptors in your brain that reduce your perception of pain.
Endorphins also trigger a positive feeling in the body, similar to that of morphine. For example, the feeling that follows a run or workout is often described as "euphoric." That feeling, known as a "runner's high," can be accompanied by a positive and energizing outlook on life.
Endorphins act as analgesics, which means they diminish the perception of pain. They also act as sedatives. They are manufactured in your brain, spinal cord, and many other parts of your body and are released in response to brain chemicals called neurotransmitters. The neuron receptors endorphins bind to are the same ones that bind some pain medicines. However, unlike with morphine, the activation of these receptors by the body's endorphins does not lead to addiction or dependence.
Regular exercise has been proven to help:
  • Reduce stress
  • Ward off anxiety and feelings of depression
  • Boost self-esteem
  • Improve sleep
Exercise also has these added health benefits:
  • It strengthens your heart.
  • It increases energy levels.
  • It lowers blood pressure.
  • It improves muscle tone and strength.
  • It strengthens and builds bones.
  • It helps reduce body fat.
  • It makes you look fit and healthy.
Is exercise a treatment for clinical depression?

Research has shown that exercise is an effective but often underused treatment for mild to moderate depression.
Do particular types of exercise help depression?

It appears that any form of exercise can help depression. Some examples of moderate exercise include:
  • Biking
  • Dancing
  • Gardening
  • Golf (walking instead of using the cart)
  • Housework, especially sweeping, mopping, or vacuuming
  • Jogging at a moderate pace
  • Low-impact aerobics
  • Playing tennis
  • Swimming
  • Walking
  • Yard work, especially mowing or raking
  • Yoga
Because strong social support is important for those with depression, joining a group exercise class may be beneficial. Or you can exercise with a close friend or your partner. In doing so, you will benefit from the physical activity and emotional comfort, knowing that others are supportive of you.

I swim daily in a swimspa. I know when I am traveling and don't get in that daily swim I do feel a little down. Also if I'm feeling down, I do feel better after a good swim. I know I'm in deep withdrawal from not being able to dive the last 4 weeks.

Thanks for the post!

Good post, thanks!

I'd go maybe even a step further and say that ANY movement helps. Doesn't have to be "exercise" but just doing something can generate a little mood lifting and some good feelings.

Now if only it were that easy when one was depressed to actually do anything. But if you can, it does make the day better...

That's it Alcina, do anything! Walk around the block, throw the ball with the dogs, park further out in the parking lots when you shop, take the stairs next to the escalator or elevator, etc. I had noticed a few posts sprinkled in the cardio challenge and in the weigh in days over the past few months, people were stopping, not posting, down, blue, etc. and that is what prompted this post. It may not have to directly do with diving BUT when you do not feel motivated, strong, happy, it may keep you from diving in the long run. One day turns into a week, week turns into a month, and months to into years.

Good Post. There is a saying that goes something like this:You play to get old. You get old because stop playing.

The statement that endorphines is not addictive is one that Im not sure I believe too much in. Same with certain other chemicals the body produce to be honest.
When you look at athletes, who does take their training to extremes the only reason I can see to keep doing it, even after they retire (they rarely stop training), the only reasonable explanation to me is that it IS addictive.
Take professional cyclists (which, lets be honest seems to be addicted to more than just training), who keep pushing their bodies for hours every day for weeks (ie Tour de France), the only reason you want to be in that much pain for so long has to ba addiction :p

Also the fact that you get down when you stop training when youre used to training regularly suggests to me that you DO get addicted to the "boost" it provides.
Then of course you have "adrenaline junkies"..

That being said, theres no doubt that excercise is good for you in pretty much every way as long as you avoid pushing your body too hard or wrong.

That's it Alcina, do anything! Walk around the block, throw the ball with the dogs, park further out in the parking lots when you shop, take the stairs next to the escalator or elevator, etc.

You've obviously never been depressed. Let me tell you, when you're seriously depressed, getting up to walk around the block is a *big* deal, a major project!

I had a period of serious depression in my life and there were days that the difference between life and death was literally that I couldn't get up the motivation to tie my shoes so I could go out and throw myself in front of a train. Walking around the block..... that was a dream.

The article is absolutely spot on about the need for exercise, not only when you're already feeling down, but to *avoid* getting to that place to begin with.... but depression is another beast entirely than "feeling crappy" and although I'm convinced that exercise is essential for healing from depression, it takes a lot more than "walking the dog" to start feeling good again.... in fact, it takes a lot before even "walking the dog" doesn't feel like more work than it's worth.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom