Expat Yank visiting the Yongala wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlier

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Work takes me to Townsville in the end of September. I will take up WetPup's suggestion and get myself to Alva Beach and dive with Yongala Dive. I can easily rent a car and drive to Alva Beach and dive the following day. It it worth to stay a second day at Alva Beach for additional two dives, or should I return to Townsville on the afternoon of the second day? In my quest to avoid too many bubbles, should I plan on diving on a Thursday or Friday, rather than a Saturday. Lastly, does anyone know what type of cylinders are available (e.g., 11 liter or 15 liter Al tanks)? Closer to departure, I will check with Yongala Dive about water temperature, so I have an idea on thickness of thermal protection. My only experience diving in Australia was a late June trip to Byron Bay. I was paired up with two experienced local divers and had a blast. Thanks in advance

Allow 2 days just in case weather blows out or something. And its awesome you might want more!

Can't advise on the rest. Have fun!!!

MA:
Allow 2 days just in case weather blows out or something. And its awesome you might want more!

Can't advise on the rest. Have fun!!!

Good point about the weather. Thanks for the reminder.

Water temps are about 26-27 at the moment. Would expect around 27c at the end of Sept.

Tanks are Al80's. They might have a handful of 15L steel tanks (I can't say I have ever checked to be honest), but you would definitely need to arrange that in advance.

There's not really a whole lot to do in Townsville for visitors to be honest. I'd stay in Alva and dive for a second day.

Good news, 27ªC SST is warm enough. And thanks for the suggestion about staying in Townsville for a second day. charlie

Enjoy the dives and watch out for the big resident groper, its huge but so cool. Also the resident schooling fish are not afraid either and you can get right up close to them as they watch you. A very enjoyable dive. Hope the corals have recovered from the last cyclone as it made a bit of a mess of the corals.

Time to pull the trigger and arrange my flight from Singapore to lovely Australia. Where can I find a scale drawing of the wreck? Its nice to have a clear mental image before diving.

S.S.Yongala-page_Yongala-Site-MAP.jpg

Honestly, this is about as good as you'll get.

There's occasionally some VW Beetle sized Queensland groupers that hang around at the bow of the wreck. Sharks occasionally out in the blue. Rays randomly show up on the sand and on the deck of the wreck itself. Turtles pretty common - it'd be unusual to not see one on a dive. Sea snakes are common (but if you don't taunt them, they generally leave you alone). Fish generally everywhere.

I dived the wreck 2 days ago, water temp was 23 degrees. Visibility was very good. More marine life than you can poke a stick at also.

Reactions: MA
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom