Expat Yank visiting the Yongala wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We dove the Yongala for a couple of days last Nov. I'd definitely say an extra day is worth it as by then you will know your way around the wreck and can concentrate on the areas that interest you most - we would have happily dived it many times more. I think we dove on a Sat/Sun but since there's only a limited space on the boat it was never busy underwater. Since it was the weekend on one of the days they ran an afternoon boat which meant we had an opportunity to dive at two different times of day/tide which was interesting as the fish behaviour was different each time.

You can see a video I made of our dives in the following thread:

What's so great about the Yongala?

Whilst you are in Townsville you should definitely try and make it up Castle Hill to watch the sunset one evening and watch the parade of locals cycling, running and walking up the hill for their evening exercise.

Richard

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I am planning on staying in Alva Beach and diving for two days. If we get blown out of the water, the second day might be better. Does anyone know if I can use DIN valve on their AL80 cylinders. Charlie

Bring an adaptor. They are INT/yoke valves. Not sure if they keep spare adaptors at the shop.

Bring an adaptor. They are INT/yoke valves. Not sure if they keep spare adaptors at the shop.

They dont use the DIN valves with inserts? Most dive shops do these days although I do take adapters just in case

They dont use the DIN valves with inserts? Most dive shops do these days although I do take adapters just in case

Not that I recall seeing, but it's possible they have some stored in the dive shop if required. Best to send the shop an email to check.

thanks, I will check with the shop, but also bring an adapter. ;-)

In my quest for minimal check-in baggage, does anyone know the current water temps at the Yongala wreck?

Thanks, but I my wildly unrealistic expectations were more in line with 26C and a 3mm free dive wetsuit with hoody. More neoprene...

Thanks to scubaboard community and WetPup for advice and suggestions. After two days at Alva Beach @Yongala Wreck, it's time to fly back to Singapore. Yongala Dive provided outstanding service. They were professional and gave us freedom to explore the dive site. I was a bit chilly the first day, due a lack of proper thermal protection (I used my standard Indonesian wetsuit; leggings and thin hoody top). The second day, I used a thicker wetsuit and was perfectly comfortable. I had a wonderful two days of diving.

It's a fishy site, with guitar sharks, eagle rays cruising in formation, many trevally, tuna, small schools of silver fish and immature fusiliers + turtles, sea snakes, groupers, Māori wrasses, et al. With a nice current toward the bow on the last dive on second day, the fish came alive. It was a blast to watch the fish hunting in the current. The ride back to Alva beach was smooth. I even napped a bit on the RIB. My best to the Yongala Dive crew. I even made it back unharmed to Townsville driving on the wrong side of the road.

Back
Top Bottom