Expectorating Blood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ladabiel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi to everybody.

Please give me advise. Today I was diving in a flooded quarry (33 minutes). It was solo dive, water temperature was 5 grades C (41 F)....and I had wet suit. I felt good, I'm not exceed the maximum ascent rate. Stupidity was that in the last 4 meters I corrected output breathing. Upon surfacing, I found that I was three times spat blood, later only yellow sputum. During the ascent, I felt no pain or other problem.What it could be ??? Recently, I was sick and had purulent pharyngitis. Have you something similar after a dive which followed an infectious disease of the upper respiratory tract. Thank You (I know that this dive was on limit...)

Stupidity was that in the last 4 meters I corrected output breathing.
What do you mean by that? Did you hold your breath?
Upon surfacing, I found that I was three times spat blood, later only yellow sputum.
If I experienced something like that without a known, harmless reason, I'd contact diving medical expertise ASAP. My opinion only, not medical advice.

During the ascent, I felt no pain or other problem.
That's not a safe indicator. AFAIK, your lung bladders don't have pain receptors, so a pulmonary barotrauma or isn't necessarily connected with pain.

Reactions: Jax
No, I didnť hold breath (I try to avoid it automatically), but when i ascend to fast so I breath out and conversely. Now I am without problem, no dyspnea or so. But when I emerged on the surface, I cough and splat almost pure blood with saliva. Everthing dissapeared within few minutes. I cant explain it. I suppose, when I would barotrauma (even subtle form), trouble would persist. Anyway, I know that all this dive was not a good idea:banghead:

If I were coughing blood after a dive, I'd be freaking out ever so slightly, collect myself and then haul a$$ to the nearest ER to get a checkup. But then I prefer to err on the safe side.

Best case, I've overreacted ever so slightly and spent a few unnecessary hours in the ER. Worst case... well, there are a couple quite uncomfortable worst cases.

It could be noting more than some blood associated with your sinuses, nothing to worry about.
It could be much worse....so get it checked out.
This is not a good time to be macho and hope everything is OK.

OK, thank for advises, I will go to check myself for sure. I feel good, so I hope it will be OK. I will post what happened. Thanks and bye.

If you are not otherwise having simptoms its likely that you simply ruptured a small blood vessel in your sinuses or pharynx, one already irritated by your recent infection.

OK, thank for advises, I will go to check myself for sure. I feel good, so I hope it will be OK. I will post what happened. Thanks and bye.
AND CALL DAN!

+1-919-684-2948

Mon-Fri 8:30am to 5:00pm EST.

+1-800-446-2671

Medical
Non-emergency medical information line

+1-919-684-2948

Choose Option 2
Mon-Fri 8:30am to 5:00pm EST.

That's not a safe indicator. AFAIK, your lung bladders don't have pain receptors, so a pulmonary barotrauma or isn't necessarily connected with pain.

Hi Storker,

You are correct.

Pain that an individual may associate with the lungs could in fact well be due to infection or another condition that causes inflammation/irritation of the lungs & surrounding areas, such as irritation of the double-membrane that surrounds the lungs & linings the rib cage (pleura). Pressure due to a tumor or like body in the lungs or chest cavity, or strained muscles in the rib or chest wall area due to coughing or other mechanical injury, may also be subjectively localized to the lung.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hi,
I was check in doctor and everything inc lungs is ok. It was only irritated small vessel rupture in pharynx, probably after infection. First episode and experience for me. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: Jax

Back
Top Bottom