Exploring Cayman Brac's Abandoned Divi Tiara Beach Resort (Video & Photos)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just east of the intersection is the dump and it is a rat infested mess. The dump is a problem and will only get worse. No one has spent any effort to manage the site properly. If you walk around the coconut trees on west end near Divi and Reef Resort almost all grounded coconuts have their ends gnawed open. . Tear down the abandoned structures and you'll have the prettiest property on the island, and one less place to harbor the vermin.

The metal pyramid house was blown apart in Paloma. Beautiful beach. Make offer and put your house on pillars. Cheers

I was surprised when I passed by the dump. Burning tires and stacks of old cars. Really ugly. By the way, I don't know exactly what kind of development is happening in the middle of the island, but I saw a full football (soccer) field that looked brand new with perfect grass, two goals and lines (chalk) perfectly placed, plus a building that was being constructed next to it. Maybe a new very nice school? It's almost like they were doing it in secret with how far into the middle of the island it is, and it's all surrounded by trees and high rock walls.

Actually the park is right in the middle of Brac, about five miles east from the airport. Brac is only 12 miles long. Access from the road connecting north and south roads dead in the middle. The project has been ongoing, and it is the only thing I am aware of. Building is slow on Brac right now. It is supposed to have B ball courts and a track as well. I would be surprised if there is something else going in. Cheers

Actually the park is right in the middle of Brac, about five miles east from the airport. Brac is only 12 miles long. Access from the road connecting north and south roads dead in the middle. The project has been ongoing, and it is the only thing I am aware of. Building is slow on Brac right now. It is supposed to have B ball courts and a track as well. I would be surprised if there is something else going in. Cheers

Interesting. Yeah, when I was there I saw men working and trucks driving around the work site. It was very odd because there was a beautiful and finished bright green football (soccer) field right in the middle of all of this pandemonium of cranes, trucks and noises.

I think y'all are referring to two different parks. The small Community Park that is West of the Airport entrance and has playground equipment has been there for many years and seems to better match the description in the article cited.
I think the one in the interior is called the Cayman Brac Sports Complex, as mentioned in this article about Moses K: Cayman Brac & Little Cayman Candidate | The Progressives | PPM

---------- Post added May 15th, 2013 at 02:52 PM ----------

Many of you may remember staying at or hearing about the old Divi Tiara Beach Resort that was once operating on Cayman Brac. It was a fully equipped dive resort several years ago. I have completed a full video documenting my walk through of the abandoned buildings and grounds, and there's a full conclusion at the end of the video that explains what happened, plus several cool before and after photo comparisons and more. Took me several late nights over the course of a few weeks to put together. Hope you guys enjoy the trip to the past: The Abandoned Resort in Cayman Brac - YouTube

Additional photos and details: Jordan Liles | Protégé of Art Vandelay
Enjoyed your video. Had you continued farther West in your exploration, you would have found a few more relics. Past the tennis courts and on the right would have been the foundations of the older section of the hotel, later razed by the government. Then on your left would have been what you called the boat house, but was the dive/photo shop. And beyond that would be the two timeshare buildings.

After the resort closed, the timeshares limped along for a few years. We stayed there for our regular week in June of ’07 (one other unit was rented) and again in June ’08 (the only customer). About the only service being provided to the timeshare was by a guy who was running an independent small scuba business in the old dive shop and the then still existing pier. Since the resort had provided much of the infrastructure for the timeshares, our accommodations those last two years had reverted to somewhat primitive. We went back in ’09 and the timeshares were no longer habitable.

We really enjoyed our stays at that Divi, the people who worked there, and the people of the island. Thanks for the nostalgia.

You're right, we are describing the Sports Complex. It may never be finished from what I hear. The government link for the Community Park gives you the map to the Sports Complex. Thanks for the video. Cheers

Don't remember the dump but I after I hit reply I do remember my wife yelling and sending a rat filled coconut into the bushes. However he was kinda cute when we saw him later and my son got a few pics. Our villa was nowhere near the dump.

As for the abandoned house, I'll pass.

knotical: I've never considered a timeshare but it never occurred to me that they could simply close and stick you with a rotting corpse of a resort. Did you can any compensation considering the owners are still operating?

knotical: I've never considered a timeshare but it never occurred to me that they could simply close and stick you with a rotting corpse of a resort. Did you can any compensation considering the owners are still operating?
Divi offered to transfer us to one of their other resorts. None appealed to some of us. We formed a group who got legal representation and eventually a restriction that Divi can't sell the land the timeshares are on without coordinating with us. Note this is a different parcel from that the hotel is on.

We had never previously considered a timeshare either, but after we kept returning to the Brac, it made sense. We used our timeshare so much that we definitely got our money's worth. We'd love to see them re-open so we can use the remaining years on our contract.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom