F1 and F2 buoyancy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SWAMPY459

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I have a question, the current HOG fins I dive with are way too heavy for sidemount. I end up having to put weight on my shoulders to trim out. That causes problems when I'm trying to sit at the surface.

I have a question about the F1 and F2, are they neutral, positive or negatively buoyant?

I'm looking for a replacement tech fin that would be good for frog kick, back kick and helicopter but would be at least neutral or even better ever so slightly positively buoyant. Of the F1 and F2, which would better fit that profile? (or do you have another recommendation?)

The F2 fins are VERY neutral!

Taking one off underwater and letting go, it does absolutely nothing -just stays there floating in front of you :)

The F1 fins are negative, these sink quite rapidly.

Similar to the HOG fins are the UTD fins, they are neutral and are excellent performers at frog/back/ heli kicks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F1s are very negative maybe slightly less negative than Jets, but still heavy.
I once lost one at the surface while getting on the boat and could not catch up to it on its way down until it reached the bottom 75' below.
Of course I only had one fin to help me swim down which didn't help the situation. What a dork!

The F2 fins are VERY neutral!
Hey Trickster .... I take it that's Neutral in Salt water?

I'm looking for a fin (two actually) that aren't floaty, although a floaty fin can be good for trim in a wet suit, it's a pain for underwater photography, fighting my feet, as they are on their way to the surface and I'm trying to get flat is a royal pain!

Do you dive them in a dry-suit configuration?

I use F1 for dry suit, and F2 for wet suit or travel (usually to pacific locations) as they are very light and help with excess baggage issues.

The F1 are better for my dry suit keeping my feet lower and for better balance.

I'm looking for a fin (two actually) that aren't floaty, although a floaty fin can be good for trim in a wet suit, it's a pain for underwater photography, fighting my feet, as they are on their way to the surface and I'm trying to get flat is a royal pain!

Yes, just neutral in salt, slightly negative in fresh.

Howdy Graggs,

Yes in the salty stuff!

I use F1 for my Drysuit and F2s for my semidry (6.5mm) and also for any tropical diving in a shorty, type thing

If drysuit - its got to be something Negative.

Rich :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom