Family snorkeling trip coming up.... looking for ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don thanks for the info on the $50 discount. I plan on booking the hotel this week.
Well, it's not as good as the $200 discount I used to be able to find on air and a private room, often yielding free room, but it's a little help. If you can't find the discount code, call the company you're booking with; they should be able to help. Or ask on the Coz forum, depending on if you're using Orbitz, CheapCaribbean, or whoever.

OK…. I know this a scuba site and I appreciate the information and opinions from the knowledgeable folks who visit this site. However this time I have a “family snorkeling” question. My wife and I are taking our son (8 years old) on another snorkeling trip in June. We have to been Cozumel several times and last year did the Whale sharks at Isla Mujeres. We are considering Cozumel again due to the ease of getting there and the simplicity of jumping in just in front of the hotel. However I was thinking about a different place in the Caribbean or Mexico. Cayman is high on the list because I think Stingray city would blow him away. I would appreciate any insight on “family oriented snorkeling trip”.

Grand Cayman would blow his mind, just not Stingray City but the new ship wreck the USS Kittiwake which sits in 60' crystal clear water with the top of the wreck only 8 feet from the surface. In the town of West Bay, the Northwall snorkeling in this area around Cobalt Coast Resort was voted by 9 NOAA scientist the healthiest reefs in all the Cayman Islands. Just as enter down the ladder in 4 feet of water it is called Sea Fan reef with 1,000's of fans swaying all around you.

Your son being 8 years old allows him to become a PADI Seal or a SSI Ranger. These programs are just wonderful allowing him to dive to 15 feet with a instructor. Talk about blowing him away, this would be a life time memory, especially diving at the real Stingray City, which is 15 feet.

Hi Joe

We have had many trips to Cayman, always a great time. Recently we have gotten into Scuba although just my son and I as my wife and others really like the ability to go anyplace, anytime and simple "dive in". For those who want to mix/match snorkeling with scuba Cayman is a great place. Many years ago we purchased a flexible week at Morritts Tortuga club which is on the east end - a short drive to Rum Point where many of the Sting Ray City boats depart - although most go from the west end because that's where many tourists hang out and the tour boats come in.

Next year when you think about your trip let me know off-list as we now live in San Jose CA and it is harder for us to get to the Caymans. So we have been renting our Tortuga Club week at low rate just to cover maintenance cost. My email is oldvillage@yahoo.com. Regards, Dave G from San Jose, previously Boston.

PS - Good luck in the playoffs
PPS - the week is still available this year if you r plans change

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom