Question Favorite winter weekend getaway?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YNot?

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've decided that I refuse to be cold AND dry for the entire winter, so looking for a weekend or long-weekend dive destination. I'm particularly looking for trips that meet at least some of these criteria:
  • Easy driving distance (<10 hours) or cheap-ish flights available
  • Decent accommodations - I don't need the Ritz, but I'm too old to sleep on the ground any more
  • LDS for fills and spares (and t-shirts, and random impulse purchases, and...)
  • Training availability is a big plus - might as well get another card while I'm there, right?
So what does everyone else around Durham do when the winds are chill and the midnight's long to get your bubble fix?

Have you considered cave country? I don't know your interest in caves but there are plenty of caverns you can dive without any cave training or you could take a Cavern and/or Intro to Cave / Cave 1 class depending on your schedule. Even if you have no interest in cave diving the class will make you a better diver.
  • 8.5 hours of driving. A lot of people in North Carolina head to Cave Country (High Springs, Florida area) for long weekend trips.
  • I wouldnt call the accomodations stellar but there are plenty of hotels availalble and options for AirBNBs.
  • Plenty of dive shops for gas fills and any piece of scuba gear you could ever want.
  • World-class instructors in the area.
  • Water is warm, 70-72 degrees
  • Fresh water so no gear rinsing
  • While some caves get blown out from river flooding, winds are not going to cancel diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom