Fear of falling - Buoyancy issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah okay! Well I have trained with SSI so far and couldn't find any of their schools in the area :( I've worked out that if I transfer over to BSAC I'll be going for my Sports Diver qualification next, I just want to get a few more dives under my belt before I do that!

I go to University of Sheffield, but am currently on my year abroad :)
As a qualified diver already, once you've joined BSAC you can just go diving. The crossover SD training pack will give you all the stuff for Nitrox, Rescue, SMB and DSMB, Deco, plus start you down the dive manager road. You will most likely get the opportunity to sit in on Ocean Diver lectures for revision, if you want.

Last edited:
With regards to hand positioning - I would suggest trying to have them in front of you as this will be the easiest position for checking dive computer, compass etc. I try to either keep my arms folded or at least have my hands linked.

Working out your best trim is a constant process - moving weight, adjusting cylinder height, changing arm leg position, head position etc. Might even be worth a private lesson or two from an instructor you trust and explain what you think you are doing wrong and what you would like to achieve.

If you work on it you will get better, as long as you can recognize what you are doing. Videos are great learning tools to show you what you are really doing, because it's hard to fix what you don't know you are doing.

I remember the videos of me in my fundamentals course, I was moving all the time, both hands and fins. I really had no idea I was doing that. I'm much closer to still when not moving now, though I let my fin tips drop far too much.

Hmm, are you worried about falling forward or backwards? That might just be you need to rearrange your weights, where your fins are relative to your body or might be you are doing something odd with how your tank is mounted.

Videos are brilliant! I watch my OW one and literally want to cry in shame already - and I've only done 11 more dives since that haha! It's just finding someone who can video you.. and my aspiration is to be the person who videos others one day :oops:

Falling forwards I think! I honestly don't think my weighting is right either, when I first went diving with a dry suit they put me on 6kg (with wet suit I was on 3.2) and I was struggling to ascend at the end! It was actually quite scary... :(

With regards to hand positioning - I would suggest trying to have them in front of you as this will be the easiest position for checking dive computer, compass etc. I try to either keep my arms folded or at least have my hands linked.

Working out your best trim is a constant process - moving weight, adjusting cylinder height, changing arm leg position, head position etc. Might even be worth a private lesson or two from an instructor you trust and explain what you think you are doing wrong and what you would like to achieve.

Yes I might need to do that.. unfortunately the ones I know well and trust a LOT live so far away (Sweden at the moment). I noticed on Saturday that even though I was putting my weights on really tightly they would go up to my belly and change position. Really irritating.

Back
Top Bottom