feeding mother

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't imagine why not. There's no way I can think of that mother's milk could be adversely affected by diving, and I can't think of any reason lactation should make the mother any more susceptable to any problems relative to diving.
The only possible problem I can think of might be a greater susceptability to irritation of the skin at the nipple, but that would go for any water activity.
E. itajara

There are a number of considerations to diving while breast feeding. These include, but are not limited to:

1. Water contains a number of pernicious microbes that have the potential to cause infections of the breast and child.

2. Dehydration, always an issue in scuba due to its assocation with DCS, can be hastened by breast feeding. In addition, dehydration, combined with the energy requirements of diving & breast feeding, could lead to a decrease in the production of breast milk.

3. Possible discomfort of the breasts due to compression by scuba gear.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such. One should discuss the issue of scuba while breast feeding with a personal physician.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

HI Tanja:
Welcome to scuba board.
I applaud you for nursing your child.
I breast feed both of my sons. It is a very special memory in my life.
If your doctor says you can't dive during this time, don't feel bad. It's well worth it.

I learnt to dive while I was still breastfeeding my youngest. The only issues I found related to hydration and comfort.

Make sure you stay well hydrated. You dehydrate more readily when you are lactating and not only does this affect your diving but it may affect your supply.

Consider your comfort. You may want to express or feed before a dive so you don't get engorged during a dive. The wetsuit sure is uncomfortable on a pair of engorged breasts.

So I found if I drank plenty of water and was thoughtful about when I expressed I was fine. My supply wasn't effected and it didn't effect my diving.

I just bought a drysuit recently, and have been trying to find time to get training on it, and I was only concerned with the timing factor for diving in relation to breastfeeding. I didn't want to be away for too long, and have to pump. I didn't even think about it being bad for my daughter! It's good to hear some thoughts on the subject.
I just twisted my knee last weekend, so I may be done with breastfeeding by the time I'm ready for diving. I guess it all works itself out in the long run. :wink:

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

God Bless you ladies for breastfeeding your babies, I am a firm believer in it and I think it gives the little ones a tremendous and healthy head start in this world. My youngest daughter is five years old and my wife nursed her for the first six months of her life and she has never really even had so much as a head cold, plus seeing the bonding that took place between them is something truly special and almost magical in my eyes. I have a great deal of respect for moms who are able to nurse the babies, because it sure as heck doesn't look easy and any child with a mom that dedicated is truly blessed in my opinion.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom