FFM For Advanced Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trunkmonkey48

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am a DM for our Fire Dept and we are looking at going to FFM. We have the selection down to 2 types of masks that we really like. We are a department in Wisconsin so we do ice diving and all of our diving is in cold water including Lake Michigan. Milwaukee Fd uses the EXO and loves them. I was seeing what everyone else thought as we have departments in the area that use both types. I am looking for The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly on the following:

The Kirby Morgan Exo Br-26

The OTS/AGA mask

Thanks ahead of time,

Jeff S

Why did you eliminate the Oceanic FFM Ocean Reef Neptune?

A lot of the departments in our area had troubles with them, plus they just didn't feel like they were well constructed. They felt cheaply made. The visor light was awesome on them but that was about all we liked on them.

Most dive teams including ours use the AGA. We also have 4 Kirby Morgan hardhats for situations also. The AGA is great with wired comm units as we use the wire both as a tether to our tenders and can use them for sledding in the river here in Michigan

The AGA breaths great and we have yet to have a free flow or catastrophic failure that could endanger our divers. They have a double seal and seal easily over latex hoods. If used properly in hazmat environments, they will not leak in foul water or smell. The OTS Guardian on the other hand does not seem to work well with wired comms, (maybe it's our fault) and a hard breathing (also could be our fault). The AGA also allows us to run of surface supply air from either a bank of tanks or compressor using the same umbilical as the Kirby Morgan hardhats. Deep dives it allows tenders to change gases without the diver worrying about them (to an extent). The AGA unlike the Guardian cannot have it's mouthpiece removed for storage or tinkering with the breathing balance to increase or decrease demand.

The down side to the AGA is unit cost, increasingly fragile communication lines, left side hose that goes around the back of our necks. We can never seem to keep the face visor clean or free of scratches. And as mentioned above cannot balance the breathing without a tec tinkering with it. Also due to the AGA being positive pressure, many will find out that they use a little bit more air than the Guardian.

Detroit and Grand Rapids had the Ocean and Ocean Reef and for some reason or another, auctioned them off and bought brand new AGA's and KB hardhats.

Check out the brand new OTS Stealth System specifically made for the Public Safety / Professional diver : The STEALTH Full Face Mask | Ocean Technology Systems

It features a new venturi-assisted 2nd stage which creates a better WOB, better for deeper / longer diving and and all the same comfort and benefits of the Guardian FFM.

Our team uses both the AGA and the OTS Guardian. No problems or issues with either. I used an Exo 26 in a class and found it very durable but heavy.

I have dove all of the masks that you mention and I now own a Guardian. The Kirby Morgan is bulkier than the AGA or Guardian. The buckles on the AGA are not as convenient as the Guardian and we have been able to fit a broad variety of faces with the Guardian.

I have been using the Ocean Reef Neptune FFM for two years, although not for commercial diving, yet very happy with it...

Personally I like the guardian. Fits great, no problems, Great accessories, easy to clear ears.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom