Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, other autoimmune diseases and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubakatz

Reaction score
I've been diving since 2000 and have fibromyalgia syndrome. Actually, since I started diving regularly I have have been symptom free (no pain, no excessive fatigue, etc.) I was wondering if there are any other people with fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome who dive and if there are any dive docs who have recommended scuba as a form of aqua-therapy?

I dive on EAD36 Nitrox most of the time and limit myself to two dives a day. When I started diving I had to have my gear carried by a buddy. But now, nearly 5 years later, I carry my own gear (including my tanks!).

My dive buddy has been diagnosed with lupus and CFS and has also found that diving relieves her symptoms.

I know that there are changes in the function of the hypothalamus and parts of the brain at depth, is it possible that those changes have altered the way my brain produces the neurotransmitters that send pain messages?

Has anyone else found that diving has remitted their symptoms?

I'd really like to see if we could get a large enough pool of people that it might be possible to get a study going on the subject. If anyone on this board would be interested in such a study, please email me privately. I think if we can get a large enough group it may be possible to submit such a proposal to DAN or some university to look at diving as aqua-therapy.

Many thanks!

Splash!

There are several hyperbaric doctors who have anecdotal reports of improvement in symptoms following hyperbaric oxygen. This was generally regarded as quackery. There is now some research being done with RSD - reflex sympathetic dystrophy and HBO therapy. RSD seems to be in the same medical spectrum as fibromyalgia. Anecdotally, one patient we treated for carbon monoxide poisoning also had fibromyalgia. She reported great improvement in her symptoms. The potential mechanisms are not clear, but it may be worth an investigation.

Babar

I too have FM/CFS as well as frequent migraines and significant allergies and a couple other unpleasantries I'd rather not broadcast. What a basket case I am, eh??

I have also commented to others that my pain and fatigue seem to improve after diving. We usually dive nearly every weekend. I am always tired after the dives, but feel better the next few days. I also feel better diving EANx than compressed air with regards to both chronic pain and fatigue.

This is especially true in warm water diving. Less gear to drag around and less overall weight are certainly factors, but I think the warmer waters are more soothing than cool/cold water - even in a drysuit. That, and focusing on "the pretty fishies" helps clear my mind of the usual stresses.

Is it breathing EANx? Is it being at pressure? Is it merely being neutrally bouyant? Combination of all of the above?? Too many variables to discern.

My mother recently told me of a friend who took up scuba at the age of 70+ due to rheumatoid arthritis. She swears she is improving and dives as much as she can. She too needs help getting in and out of her gear, but less pain is worth a lot of hassle.

I'm in the Midwest and we dive Gilboa couple-three times a year. Anyone have a contact at Cleveland Clinic that might be interested in a small scale nonclinical trial??? I'd be willing to take a few chamber rides and fill out questionnaires! (NOT willing to experience CO poisoning to try it out though ;}

My wife was diagnosed with RA a few years back. She found the right treatment for her and has been in remission for a few years (before we started diving), but she has read some reports on the possible benefits of increased atmospheric pressure on people with RA, lupus, etc. I think there's something to it, but unfortunately I don't think there will be any studies on it in the near future. DAN might be willing to take a look at it, but I think you'd need to have enough people with symptoms that are willing to travel to the location of the study for a long enough period to participate in the study and not be reimbursed for it. Good luck. Unfortunately, the only illnesses that seem to be studied are the ones that are going to produce money for the pharmaceutical companies.

RA, lupus, Fibromyalgia, etc aren't well understood processes. In fact, there's quite a bit of controversy over whether some of them are even good diagnoses. Personally, I think fibromyalgia is a cop out diagnosis made by doctors. I'm not saying the symptoms don't exist. The doctors that make that diagnosis just get lazy or don't know enough to further pursue it. They feel they have to put a label on the symptoms and they choose that one rather than trying to find the true cause of the symptoms.

Anyway, good luck. I mean that. I know my wife would be willing to participate, but I don't think she's a candidate since she's in remission from the medication she takes. Keep us posted on whether you get this going.

I had two girlfriends who both have fibromyalgia and lupus. Actually they were identical twins (I dated them 25 years apart). One had a few other autoimmune diseases as well and was so serious that she often was bedridden for days on end. Obviously diving was out of the realm of possibility for her even though she was interested. She eventually committed suicide due to the decades of pain she had experienced.

The other sister (who I dated in the 70's and am still good friends with) is very active, although not a diver. Obviously the degree of affect is quite variable even with identical genetic makeup.

I can't comment specifically on what is appropriate in your case. However, I learned a lot about these diseases from these two women. They can be very debilitating or more tolerable depending on a number of factors. Good luck in your specific case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom