Finally Buying Diving Gear, which is best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely shoot Jim an e-mail. He'll take care of you.

OP,
Consider yourself very lucky that you found Scubaboard and you are getting some great advice.
Most people aren't that lucky and just go along with whatever their shop tells them they need.
As soon as I read "cave" I knew someone would mention a Back Plate & Wing. This is about the best advice you could get. I recommend them for any and all diving, not just wreck/cave/technical.
Most people using BP/W these days will never see a cave or deep wreck, or dive doubles for that matter. Regular recreation fun divers have figured out that they work so well there is no reason to use anything else. But the great part is, if you want to go further you already have the base gear you can use for anything.
Not only that, but start up costs are less, way less. It's a win win!
Talk to Jim Lapenta, he'll set you up right.

My feeling is they're just trying to sell you gear, pricey gear at that. And they're naturally interested in selling you what they stock. Selling gear is how shops make money, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that, but there's a fuzzy line. Some shops take it too far - being only interested in the biggest short term sale they can make no matter what they need to do to get it, with zero concern that someone makes good choices or becomes a long term customer. It happens. If you decide that's the case here and will be an ongoing issue with them, you may want to look for another shop.

There is no "best of the best" gear. There's not really much bad gear out there and there's plenty of very good stuff at mid-range prices. Best is what's best for you and often has little to do with price. Best for you is also unlikely to be obtained by buying a package from one shop who is focused on selling a few particular brands at max profit, without looking at what else is out there. Pre-designed packages are "easy" and require less effort on your part but that's usually all they have going for them. (Discounts on packages don't necessarily make them a good deal; often they're padded with odds and ends you don't really need to make it look better. And getting 10% off a $800 item is no deal when you can find something that does the job as well or better for $400.) So look around, learn more about what's out there and what you might really want. Maybe you'll decide something he's selling is what you really want, maybe not. But don't get pushed into buying an expensive package because you "have to have it" to take their course, which is a rather suspect claim for AOW.

The Ladyhawk is expensive, but it's not junk. It has it's pros and cons like pretty much anything, and simply isn't what some people would prefer. I've had one for many years and don't regret it (though I'm probably going to replace it soon because of a leaky bladder, and wouldn't buy the same thing now, because there are so many other choices.)

As far as the AirII (and similar octo-inflators by other brands) this is something that gets beaten to death on this board. I learned on one, but am not a fan and never bought one. I think it's the sort of thing that often sounds good to a new diver, but many change their minds after understanding more about the drawbacks - which the shop selling it to you is unlikely to mention. But some people still like them despite that.

IMO there is no way a new diver should be dropping $800 on a computer, unless you have a ton of money burning a hole in your pocket. Start with something inexpensive, like <$300. Lots out there that will do everything you need for awhile, if not always. If you continue to dive and decide after a few years you really want or need something more, go for it then and perhaps use your original as a backup. But there's a pretty decent chance you'll discover you don't need anything more and it's not worth the money.

Thank you for all this advice! I definitely am leaning more towards BP/W over a BC now, to me it makes sense to buy what I'll end up needing vs. whats best for my short term goals. I'm glad I found this website and decided to utilize it! Most of the time I'll just read other threads, but since I'm (surprisingly) so in love with diving i thought i'd make my own account and join in! I know it seems very early to buy gear, but I rather perfect my skills with my own gear so I can do it perfectly in any type of situation. It's better for me to learn what I need to know with one set of gear, vs. all the different types i could get while renting.

As for all the comments about the dive shop- I am (unfortunately)limited to this one specific shop (personal reasons), I already know that their prices are a little higher than other shops :/

I really don't mind spending some money on a great dive computer, mainly because I would like to buy one and have it be great for all the types of diving I'm interested in. instead of buying a <$300 now and then a >$800 one in the future, i rather just buy a >$800 now. Can anyone recommend some good BP/W brands? I've looked at scubapro but I'd like to get a full range of options!

Thank you, again! I'll keep you guys updated on which gear I end up going with (if you're interested!):)

P.S if anyone knows bioengineers who have combined their careers with diving, I would love to ask them some questions! **Very off topic, i know :d

A variation on the BP/W option is going with something like the Dive Rite Trans Pac. I found two of these nearly new for sale on Craigslist for my two daughters who just started diving. It will attach to a standard wing, but is a little easier to travel with vs a heavy steel backplate. But, you really cant go wrong with the tried and true BP/W either.

As far as brands go.. There are several makers of the standard backplate, with only minor variations. Dive Rite pretty much invented this, so I would start there and then compare some of the other options available.

A few things to consider:
-alum or steel backplate... (or flexible like the Trans-Pac)
-Webbed harness or one with more of a 'built' harness. pads, buckles etc
-Size of wing: depends on a couple factors like tank type/size

I really don't mind spending some money on a great dive computer, mainly because I would like to buy one and have it be great for all the types of diving I'm interested in. instead of buying a <$300 now and then a >$800 one in the future, i rather just buy a >$800 now.

What you need to understand is that when you "need" the "$800 computer", you are also likely going to "need" another device. That device can be the "<$300 computer" (which will likely meet all your needs now) re-purposed to a back-up/timer that you have already been using as your diving and skills progress. Also, price alone dose not necessarily equate to "greatness" of the product.... there have been some nice suggestions made above.

Regarding the other gear, unless you are driven to spend the money on those specific items (and the selections you have listed are not the "best bang for the buck"), you either need to look elsewhere, or see if the products suggested are available at the LDS you are wanting to use....

You have been given some excellent advice from some very experienced divers. Try to understand what they are telling you....

If you're going to spend $800 on a computer that you'll need in the future, it won't be the one you're looking at now. Paying $800 for a recreational dive computer is just nuts.

I'll say this again because it appears you haven't done so yet, call Jim Lapenta and have him put together a BP/W package, as well as a Hog regulator package, either streamlined OW style or long hose. It WILL be cheaper than your local dive shop. I appreciate personal connections, but at some point spending quite a bit of extra money to get an inferior product just no longer makes sense.

Avoid that Scubapro X-Tek nonsense. That's just Scubapro trying to cash in on a trend based on outward appearance, and a total misunderstanding of the actual concepts underlying the BP/W style of BCD.

Computer.....

If you get into technical diving, cave, wreck, etc., chances are you will be incurring a decompression obligation. They'll teach you how to deal with this in an AN/DP type of course. However, one of the requirements is a redundant timing device. Buying an inexpensive computer now, can serve as your backup once you get into technical diving. Either way you will need two pieces of gear, so why not get an inexpensive computer now that will do exactly what you need for the time being. When you finally do get to the point where you will be doing dives with multiple gasses, etc., you can purchase a more expensive computer like a Shearwater, and retain your less expensive computer as your redundant backup. This saves you money in the short run, and realistically saves you money in the long run as well, as aside from very few $800 computers, most are just unnecessarily expensive recreational computers doing no more than a $250 Geo 2.0.

Realistically the best choice you can make is this, call Jim and have him sell you:

Hog SS backplate, Jim will even thread it for you and all you have to do is make final adjustments.
Hog 23lb Wing, with an STA, more stable than cam straps alone.
Hog D1 w/Classic 2nd on a long hose, same as you will eventually be diving in the overhead.
Second Classic 2nd stage, on 22" bungeed short hose.
SPG on 24" hose with a bolt snap to attach to tour waist d-ring.

That takes care of the BP/W and regs. Inexpensive, will grow with you without having to replace a bunch of stuff. When you start diving doubles you'll buy a doubles wing and another 1st stage and just swap a couple hoses.

Computer, go to Leisure Pro and get an Oceanic Geo 2.0, or go to Dive Gear Express and get the Hollis DG03. They're both inexpensive nitrox capable computers. When you get to the point where you need a mixed gas technical computer, get a Shearwater of whatever flavor and use your old computer in gauge mode as a backup bottom timer.

I'll say this again because it appears you haven't done so yet, call Jim Lapenta and have him put together a BP/W package, as well as a Hog regulator package, either streamlined OW style or long hose. It WILL be cheaper than your local dive shop. I appreciate personal connections, but at some point spending quite a bit of extra money to get an inferior product just no longer makes sense.

Avoid that Scubapro X-Tek nonsense. That's just Scubapro trying to cash in on a trend based on outward appearance, and a total misunderstanding of the actual concepts underlying the BP/W style of BCD.

Computer.....

If you get into technical diving, cave, wreck, etc., chances are you will be incurring a decompression obligation. They'll teach you how to deal with this in an AN/DP type of course. However, one of the requirements is a redundant timing device. Buying an inexpensive computer now, can serve as your backup once you get into technical diving. Either way you will need two pieces of gear, so why not get an inexpensive computer now that will do exactly what you need for the time being. When you finally do get to the point where you will be doing dives with multiple gasses, etc., you can purchase a more expensive computer like a Shearwater, and retain your less expensive computer as your redundant backup. This saves you money in the short run, and realistically saves you money in the long run as well, as aside from very few $800 computers, most are just unnecessarily expensive recreational computers doing no more than a $250 Geo 2.0.

Realistically the best choice you can make is this, call Jim and have him sell you:

Hog SS backplate, Jim will even thread it for you and all you have to do is make final adjustments.
Hog 23lb Wing, with an STA, more stable than cam straps alone.
Hog D1 w/Classic 2nd on a long hose, same as you will eventually be diving in the overhead.
Second Classic 2nd stage, on 22" bungeed short hose.
SPG on 24" hose with a bolt snap to attach to tour waist d-ring.

That takes care of the BP/W and regs. Inexpensive, will grow with you without having to replace a bunch of stuff. When you start diving doubles you'll buy a doubles wing and another 1st stage and just swap a couple hoses.

Computer, go to Leisure Pro and get an Oceanic Geo 2.0, or go to Dive Gear Express and get the Hollis DG03. They're both inexpensive nitrox capable computers. When you get to the point where you need a mixed gas technical computer, get a Shearwater of whatever flavor and use your old computer in gauge mode as a backup bottom timer.

What think about something like a Mares Puck?
I bought one, I think I paid $169 at Leisure Pro. It does nitrox and has user replaceable battery and gauge mode. It fit my criteria for cheap and features I needed for basic dives.

What think about something like a Mares Puck?
I bought one, I think I paid $169 at Leisure Pro. It does nitrox and has user replaceable battery and gauge mode. It fit my criteria for cheap and features I needed for basic dives.

I dislike RGBM for a variety of reasons. The fact that the Puck only comes with RGBM completely wipes it off the radar in my mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom