Finally somewhat settled in Detroit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mahhz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
.....I say that because I just got my first Great Lakes Dives in! And being so, I thought it would be a good opportunity to introduce myself to some of the local people.

Anyways, my name is Jeff, I just moved to the Pontiac area from Savannah, GA. I initially learned to dive in Oklahoma back in 2004, but my interest in the sport really took off in 2006 when I was finally able to start diving offshore Georgia and Florida. If you have never had the opportunity to dive in Georgia, it is a MUST. There are some fantastic artificial reefs as well as a beautiful national marine sanctuary called "Gray's Reef". However, I would recommend it only for advanced divers, as almost all diving is done by live boating (i.e. boat is not anchored), the current can often times be swift, and vis less than optimal.....also the jellies can be very thick at times.

Most of my diving has been as a volunteer diver. I started out volunteering with the South Carolina Aquarium in Charleston, SC. I would drive up there from Savannah (4hr round trip) every other Saturday to assist the staff in exhibit maintenance, fish feeding, as well as dive shows where we don a full-face mast so that we can communicate with the visitors and do educational shows with other staff members. I did this for about a year:
IMG_4864.jpg

IMG_4843.jpg

P1010009.jpg

In 2008, our local NOAA sanctuary started a program that would train local divers to become NOAA certified scientific divers to assist the sanctuary in their offshore projects. In this program, we assisted NOAA staff in a multitude of projects from retrieving acoustic receivers for a fish tagging project to monitoring the accumulation of marine debris on specific sites to assisting college grad students and professors with coral research studies. The highlight of helping NOAA came when I was invited to help on the NOAA Ship R/V Nancy Foster for a week. Having the ship on-site allowed us to do 4 dives a day, with 3 dive teams....putting the research we were already doing into fast-forward as well as taking on several other projects.
P1010038.jpg

P1010011.jpg

Here is a newspaper article about the "Team Ocean" Volunteer divers, as well as a news segment about us:
YouTube - DVD VIDEO RECORDER Title01
Volunteers dive into research | savannahnow.com

Our normal dive platforms include the 41' R/V Joe Ferguson, as well as the 36' R/V Sam Gray.....pictured in the back is the retired Ex R/V Joe Ferguson, which I only has the pleasure of diving off of once.
P1010042.jpg

Here's what I look like after getting my face smeared with jellyfish tenticles.....
JellyFace.jpg

.....but you just suck it up, and jump back in!
NOAAJump.jpg

NOAA's "Team Ocean" is a fantastic program that will hopefully be expanded to include more sanctuaries.

I also enjoy spearfishing when I have the opportunity.....especially after I got my first grouper in Apr '07:
IMG_1057.jpg

My good friend Steve from Oklahoma City would come out to visit on occasion, and we'd go diving together whenever possible.....and being the good friend he is, he custom built me a beautiful teak speargun in his garage. So powerful and so accurate:
004.jpg

Gagncuda.jpg

When I get a good catch, I love to cook it up and invite my friends and family over for a feast.....I love cooking good

seafood for people, like this scored Flounder and Thai baked Red Porgy....YUMMMMMM
IMG_2966.jpg

IMG_2537.jpg

I really haven't had the time or $$ to do a whole lot of travelling, the furthest away I've ever dove was out of San Diego when we went to the Corronado Islands just into Mexico and got to play with the sea lions.
Sealions.jpg

I plan on getting my ice diving cert this winter, and probably start testing the waters into the tech realm. It's a

completely different environment up here, so I'm just going to try everything to see what new stuff interests me. Hope I

didn't bore you with my "story", but I just like to let people know about me, that way when I meet them in person, they

know who I am, and what I'm about. See you all soon!

Great introduction! Are you thinking about joining the group during the M&G at Gilboa in a few weeks?

Paula

Hmmmm......that's a possibility.....there's something that I need to do there, a top secret mission of sorts!

It sure would be nice if NOAA had a program like that around here. Congrads on the first "Big Lake" dive. I moved up from Atlanta in '06 and I'm just getting my first Great Lakes dive tomorrow. (sucks being a student without much money)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom