Finding my next dive destination - Recommendations on how to find new places

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Subscribe to Undercurrent. IMO it is the only (yes only) source of accurate and unbiased information. I’ve subscribed for 30 years or so. I think it used to be called In-Depth back then. My wife and I have been on 43 liveaboards and 10-15 land-based scuba trips. I used Undercurrent as my information source on every one of them. Undercurrent: There is no substitute.

Here’s an even better deal, 50% OFF. I’ll be on the same boat, paying full amount since I booked it a long time ago.

No, but the boat looks nice and the price is unbelievable, half of that of Raja Ampat!
I know! I'm crying!

I am looking for my next dive destinations that I plan to do in the next few years. I am finding it hard to know where I should go.
I am wondering where everyone finds their new diving destinations, besides word of mouth from close friends.
Hard to answer without knowing your background and ambitions, diving-wise. Early in my diving magazines, local group trip offerings and ScubaBoard were inspirational; in recent years, mainly SB.

There are more destinations than most people can reasonably research in depth. Narrowing it down is tough. I'll approach the topic from a U.S.A. rec. diving tourist perspective. I suspect most U.S. divers come to the hobby having a vague awareness of the Bahamas and the Great Barrier Reef of Australia as publicly known big name dive places. But they get on a forum like this and in the U.S., the Bahamas aren't mentioned that much (or the diving is criticized as subpar), the GBR seldom (and it's on the other side of the world, an extended ordeal to get to), and other places dominate the conversation - Cozumel (Mexico), something called a 'Bonaire,' wherever Roatan and Belize are, and oh, yeah...the Caymans sound familiar. And Key Largo.

I think many divers embark on a dive journey to hit a number of those mainstream destinations for general coral reef diving. If that's what you're after, they are popular for a reason. Spend much time on SB and you'll add Curacao to the list.

After that, they may start seeking specific things - larger sharks (e.g.: Jupiter (FL), Morehead City (NC)), goliath grouper & other 'big stuff' (Jupiter), a diverse array of big stuff (e.g.: Galapagos, Socorros, Cocos Island), or 'best in the world' tier coral reef diving (e.g.: Raja Ampat, Komodo, Papua New Guinea, Philippines on a budget) or Fiji (Soft Coral Capitol of the World). Oh, and the wrecks of Truk. The Red Sea and Maldives are in the mix.

There are other good places to dive, and other types of diving to enjoy (e.g.: cenotes in Mexico by reputation), combo. diving + entertain-your-family trips, liveaboards, etc...

But some people want the road less traveled. They've heard about Dominica, Grenada, St. Lucia, the St. Vincent area, the British Virgin Islands, etc... Once people have hit a range of the main destinations, they may pursue these.

Once I narrow it down, I Search for trip reports on ScubaBoard and research the destination to get an overall grasp of it by reputation. If I have further questions, I start a thread on SB to find out more. If it's a more complex trip (e.g.: The Galapagos or Raja Ampat), I may contact a dive travel agent and consult their website for more info. Undercurrent is also good.

Start by asking...

1.) Where am I at in my diving? Dive count, do I have AOW and nitrox, am I comfortable in the water, am I comfortable traveling outside the U.S. and if so how far and how much complexity (e.g.: Cozumel vs. Raja Ampat)? Do I need to travel with a dive group? Are liveaboards an option?

2.) What mainstream destinations have I already hit, and am I looking for 'new and different?'

3.) Do I just need good diving, or is the topside important (e.g.: spouse, kids)?

4.) What do I want? Coral reef focus, macro, big stuff, sharks specifically, wrecks, etc...?

Answer those 4 questions, and SB members can probably rattle off enough good options to book trips the next few years.

By far the best summary of the classical diving destinations I know of is:

Reisezeiten-Tabelle

Click on the barely-visible arrows to page through the 5 pages.

As a bonus one can practice one's German and the Celsius scale. Google translate can help for the words that are harder to guess.

Back
Top Bottom