Finning backward applications?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AJ:
Youtube is a good start, instruction even better.
I went the YT route first. Never got my back kick to work. Asked a clubmate for some mentoring. Took us one short dive before it "clicked" for me, I think it was on my third attempt

The back kick is invaluable even for the non-photographer recreational diver. Without the back kick, the divemaster points to some animal, and the herd of divers swim over and jockey for position to look at it, each one kicking forward to leave the scene when he's done looking at it, and in the process kicking up silt and/or kicking in the faces of other divers trying to get into position for a look. Imagine if all of those divers could, one or two at a time, approach the animal, have a look, and then gently back away, letting the next diver take his position.

Curiosity topic here.

Background: Just came across a thread where a fin was described as less suitable for 100-200ft backward swims.

Questions: What practical applications do you use extended backwards swims? How frequently do you drill for it? What's your preferred patterns?

Well that's that.

Regards,
Cameron

I make extended backwards swims sometimes during lessons. in OW if I'm ahead of my students i often turn around and swim backwards so I can watch the students.

R..

The back kick is invaluable even for the non-photographer recreational diver. Without the back kick, the divemaster points to some animal, and the herd of divers swim over and jockey for position to look at it, each one kicking forward to leave the scene when he's done looking at it, and in the process kicking up silt and/or kicking in the faces of other divers trying to get into position for a look. Imagine if all of those divers could, one or two at a time, approach the animal, have a look, and then gently back away, letting the next diver take his position.
Good points. Again, applicable IF you dive in such situations.

You might need to continuously back kick for a while to stay stopped in a current. This would be more-or-less the same as kicking 100 feet or so in no current, so it is a useful skill even for OW divers.

There are a couple of videos. Here's one that's okay: (I'm sure there are better ones out there if you look)

I had some instruction on it in my cavern class and a few tips in intro to cave. But one thing that really helped me was setting up a mirror and watching myself flail away. Having someone video you might be even better. One thing that's a bit counter-intuitive is to point your toes as you extend you leg and flex your feet as your knees bend. That's probably not a very good explanation, but you want to keep your fins tips mostly parallel to the bottom. This helps keep trim.

I quite often have to back kick a fair distance (100-150ft) while DMing. There is a section over a 26m pit on the route to student road where it's pretty prudent to have both the instructor and DM eyes on the students. It also helps me to establish a good pace for the group. It's easier for me to keep an eye on them if I can see them.

I probably use the back kick on every dive. I take photos and video. So does my buddy. We often use back kicks to position ourselves for the optimum photo shot, then back kick to switch places so both get the photo op without touching anything or stirring up silt. A well timed back kick during a video close-up gives you a nice zoom out when you are done with that shot. I consider it a basic skill for UW photography.

Every photographer that does not crash into the coral knows how to back kick.

But not for 200 feet. Most photographers I know do not swim that far in a whole dive.

You might need to continuously back kick for a while to stay stopped in a current. This would be more-or-less the same as kicking 100 feet or so in no current, so it is a useful skill even for OW divers.

There are a couple of videos. Here's one that's okay: (I'm sure there are better ones out there if you look)

I had some instruction on it in my cavern class and a few tips in intro to cave. But one thing that really helped me was setting up a mirror and watching myself flail away. Having someone video you might be even better. One thing that's a bit counter-intuitive is to point your toes as you extend you leg and flex your feet as your knees bend. That's probably not a very good explanation, but you want to keep your fins tips mostly parallel to the bottom. This helps keep trim.
I can see that as well, maybe if you want a picture of something. Otherwise, you could just grab a rock or even the sand, or just turn around and kick forward? If the current's too much for those ideas it's probably good to not be there.

In the original post text it says swimming backwards as a pose to finning backwards. Given the distances mentioned could it be possible that the manufacturer is referring to swimming backwards on the surface?

Back finning is only usually reserved for short distances except in unusual circumstances. Most of the time people would just helicopter round and kick normally. It's not an amazing idea to fin in a direction which you can't see very well for long distances.

Most people with wings find it much easier to swim backwards on the surface of they don't want to swim with there regulator in and don't have a snorkel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom