Fins and leg cramps..any relation? Need help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are these heavy? They look it.

Can't tell you the exact weight, but the answer is no, they are not heavy. I actually got them to cut down on the weight in my luggage. They are also flexible which makes packing a little easier.

This is a timely article and relevant!! Thanks for asking the question. There are a lot of great responses. So here goes...

FWIW: After years and hundreds and hundreds of dives my my calf muscle cramps recently returned. So what changed? For me it was extensive use of my drysuit, currents, and most importantly was the moderate dehydration that was occurring before the dive. The dehydration came in terms of heat buildup while suited up, walking excessively prior to the dive sequence, cold water temps, and surface swims with doubles and deco setups. What exacerbated the situation was diving in mixed teams where some divers just wanted to dive/kick at full speed. I noticed my RMV jumped up like a 'cat pouncing on mouse' during these dives!

Anyway, so I had to rethink my physical conditioning, dive team dive partnerships, and pre-dive setup routine. I switched to layered merino wool undergarments for added flexibility and warmth. The biochemical piece came into play by striking a marriage with 100% organic coconut water (really read the labels). Then adding low sodium trace minerals, organic vinegar, adding no cramp organic solutions (the company is called trace mineral research), and iodine drops to the coco quart solution that I carry and drink the day before and between dives. Plus I switched to force fins. I added 16 x 100 yard sprints and 20 minute jump rope routines (actually a small very cool cellularsize trampoline) to my workout as well. And yes, I've always use frog kicks so that did not change other than gliding a little more.

As you can tell I took a very whole-listic approach to solving this quagmire. Anyway, good luck and think through each step and really listen to your body along the way. It took months but, in the end, we are all worth it.

Last edited:
Well, Im happy to say that I have been taking extra vitamin D for the last month and no foot cramps! I am hoping that between this and drinking more water is the ticket. We leave for LC in two weeks so I will put it to the test while diving. On land so far its all good! YAY!

Back
Top Bottom