Fins and manoeuvrability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johanan

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Yeah, another equipment solution to a skills problem. Nevertheless, to what extent manoeuvrability and precision depends on the model (size, form) of the fins? Can anyone compare, let's say, Holiis F1 "Bat" fins and the Apeks RK3 fins from this perspective?

How similar are the Apeks RK3 to the ScubaPro Jet fins? They look really close, but not sure about the dimensions.
When comparing Jets and F1 for my wife, I saw that the Jets are slightly wider and shorter than F1 for the comparable size. Our Fundies instructor also mentioned this as something to consider before we went to the LDS to look at them. I assume this has something to do with more of your fin sticking out behind you and hitting/disturbing something, especially during tight turns.
FWIW, neither of us can tell the difference between the 2 but that's due to our overall inexperience.

I don't see any dimensions on the Apeks link you listed. I use the Hollis F1's for everything except out of country travel. For travel fins I use Hollis F2's which are quite a bit shorter. The F2's definitely don't have the thrust the F1's do but the maneuverability is excellent. Power and maneuverability with the F1's is fantastic. The first fins I ever used were SP Jets. If I didnt dive with the Hollis fins I would go back to them.

Yeah, another equipment solution to a skills problem. Nevertheless, to what extent manoeuvrability and precision depends on the model (size, form) of the fins? Can anyone compare, let's say, Holiis F1 "Bat" fins and the Apeks RK3 fins from this perspective?

I think that the F1's and Jets are too low tech to be considered, unless you are doing only exactly prescribed cave diving that only involves frog kicking and scooters --never any dive site that might require you to use flutter kick or dolphin kick, or to fight a current...

For a high tech fin that does flutter and dolphin kick much better than jets or F1's, and reverse kick or helicopters much better ....and is just "slightly" slower at frog kick than the Scuba pro jets--if you were "frog kick racing"....but generally is a great Frog kicking fin....try these Force Fin Excellerating Force Fin - Whiskers not included

You should TRY a pair of Excellerating Force Fins....and try them against Jets or F1's.
You could probably PM Bob Evans of Force fins, from the Force fin group here on Scubaboard, and ask him if he knows of any Force Fin users near where you live.
If you were in Florida, there would be many users of Excellerating FF's that would offer you theirs to try...myself included.

Propulsion and fin technology is a big deal to me...the list of fins I have right now is :
  1. DiveR composite Freedive fins - 2 sets..a medium stiffness blade and their stiffest blade.
  2. Carbon Fiber C4 Mustang Freedive Fins
  3. Riffe Freedive Fins
  4. Picasso Freedive Fins
  5. Scubapro jetfins
  6. Hollis F1's
  7. Force Fin --Excellerating Force Fins
  8. Extra Force fins
I have had many others throughout my years of diving, including the classic Fara fins by Fallaron.... But my all time favorites are The stiff bladed Dive R's AND the Excellerating Force Fins. For penetration diving, the DiveR's are excluded from discussion, as they are 2 to 3 times longer than scuba fins, and are too easy to hit the ceiling with with a low overhead...or get through a tight turn without hitting a wall with them.
The Excellerating Force Fins do it all. The efficiency has to be experienced, before you can possibly believe how much better they are than jet fins.

I wish Dans replys would be more detailed.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish Dans replys would be more detailed.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tell me what you would like me to cover....or are you ribbing me for a long post :) ?

danvolker, thank you for the informative reply! It is good to hear from such a various and rich experience. I have been considering the Force fins, but at that time they were experiencing some problems and were out of business. I am glad to learn that they survived and are back.

What is the buoyancy of these fins? Are they OK for a dry suit in terms of weight ad foot space?

danvolker, thank you for the informative reply! It is good to hear from such a various and rich experience. I have been considering the Force fins, but at that time they were experiencing some problems and were out of business. I am glad to learn that they survived and are back.

What is the buoyancy of these fins? Are they OK for a dry suit in terms of weight ad foot space?
With their XXL size, they should be very good....ideally you do not use an ultra thick soled boot...all you want ideally is a thin soled or medium sole dive bootie.

They are pretty neutral in salt water.

Tell me what you would like me to cover....or are you ribbing me for a long post :) ?

I thought he was just kidding around.

With their XXL size, they should be very good....ideally you do not use an ultra thick soled boot...all you want ideally is a thin soled or medium sole dive bootie.

They are pretty neutral in salt water.

Are the Force fins longer than the F1? What are the "whiskers" for? Do you use them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom