Fins for Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Full Foot Mares Plana Avanti or Quatro...or whatever they call them now. You won't find better or lighter IMHO. That is what I have been using for many years and they are pretty cheap too!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I use my flip fins in Cozumel i like not having to take them off to climb in the boat, the DM did laugh a bit at them though.

I have a pair of Tusa splits gathering dust in my closet here in Cozumel, although I have seen many people on the boat wearing the very same brand. I just found them too big for my feet and also too heavy for my liking. For the past few years now I have been wearing a pair of relatively inexpensive Genesis fins (no idea of the model). The shop sold them to me on the basis that they are very light in weight and he said his women clients were liking them, especially because they have a small foot pocket (I have very narrow feet). Indeed, I like them and find they work great for me in strong or mild current. I'm told by other divers that if you are behind me (which isn't very often...) they are also highly visible from a distance. I purchased them before we bought the house here and was still having to fly down with my gear. I also have a pair of nice pink Tusa fins...one of my very first scuba purchases! I use them as loaners or for snorkelling now. Although I might be open to offers...:wink:

I've been to Cozumel when the current was practically absent (uncommon), times when it was steady 1-3 knots, and in late June a couple of times when it was extremely difficult to swim against or stop.

Play it safe and take a fin that gives you reasonable power.

DB

My Mares Avanti Tre fins are the only pieces of gear I own from when I was originally certified. They're warped and full of holes, but to paraphrase a Timex commercial, "still keep on kicking". J has some fancy Atomic split fins and she's managed to keep up with me against most currents when necessary. The only downside to splits is the vortex they leave behind - they seem to silt up swimthroughs and such more than normal fins and I'm not sure a modified-frog is possible, let alone backwards finning and other single-blade tricks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom