Fins recommendation for current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After 40 years now that is a nice comment. We do offer a money back if not happy. We rarely see a return. Just received another 7% price increase. So sad to see supply problems and labor issues here in America. But we did have our bet month since 911. Mostly military orders. Thank you Bob Evans
Great fins. Had a job to do in the dock today and had to make a giant stride from 8 feet to the water. Put on the fins and walked effortlessly to the edge, stepped off and braced for the fin shock, no fin shock with Force fins.

she can't follow up the rest of buddies due to lack of leg power, she's 5'9 and weights around 140lbs, wearing a Gull Super Mew XX, and we dive in 3mm wetsuit, single tank, watertemp was 28C. I was wondering whether there are any fins that can kick easier in the current and require less leg power than Super Mew.
I have the Supermew XX and highly highly recommend it for both tech kicks and fighting against ripping currents (like those in Indonesia). I've tried pretty much all the popular fins out there except for split fins, force fins (did try one pair but it was too big), seawing nova, and rk3. Except for Mares Avanti Quatro plus, everything else sucks big, big time compared to the XX. I can easily out swim every single other pair of fins except for freediving fins, and can catch up with Avanti Quatro. XX needs a bit more leg power than AQ+ but is a lot more precise for tech kicks. When I fly, XX is carryon size and AQ+ needs to be checked in. I can't handle jet fins and similar firm paddle fins in a strong current, but the XX cuts through everything like butter. I have chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia, I'm really not physically strong at all, prob one of the physically weakest diver out there. I wouldn't be able to confidently dive and manage other divers without the XX.

I'm very surprised your gf has the exact opposite experience. I'd maybe try AQ+, FF, Seawing Nova, split fins, and freediving fins if I were her. Many people swear by the RK3 too, and they seem considerably easier to handle than Jet fins.

I have the Supermew XX and highly highly recommend it for both tech kicks and fighting against ripping currents (like those in Indonesia). I've tried pretty much all the popular fins out there except for split fins, force fins (did try one pair but it was too big), seawing nova, and rk3. Except for Mares Avanti Quatro plus, everything else sucks big, big time compared to the XX. I can easily out swim every single other pair of fins except for freediving fins, and can catch up with Avanti Quatro. XX needs a bit more leg power than AQ+ but is a lot more precise for tech kicks. When I fly, XX is carryon size and AQ+ needs to be checked in. I can't handle jet fins and similar firm paddle fins in a strong current, but the XX cuts through everything like butter. I have chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia, I'm really not physically strong at all, prob one of the physically weakest diver out there. I wouldn't be able to confidently dive and manage other divers without the XX.

I'm very surprised your gf has the exact opposite experience. I'd maybe try AQ+, FF, Seawing Nova, split fins, and freediving fins if I were her. Many people swear by the RK3 too, and they seem considerably easier to handle than Jet fins.
I agree the other " Split fins" suck. We produced the first split fin and coined the name one year before. You will find my product does pull apart
under load and was developed for the US Marine combat teams. Foil Force Fin - Force Fins | Worlds Finest Fins for Swimming, Diving, Bellyboating For strong currents, you will find the Excellerating Force Fin fits the bill. EXCELLERATING FORCE FIN - Force Fins | Worlds Finest Fins for Swimming, Diving, Bellyboating

I agree the other " Split fins" suck. We produced the first split fin and coined the name one year before. You will find my product does pull apart
under load and was developed for the US Marine combat teams. Foil Force Fin - Force Fins | Worlds Finest Fins for Swimming, Diving, Bellyboating For strong currents, you will find the Excellerating Force Fin fits the bill. EXCELLERATING FORCE FIN - Force Fins | Worlds Finest Fins for Swimming, Diving, Bellyboating
I've always been curious to give FF a serious try, but I can never find any in size S.

Hello, fellow divers,

Yesterday my girlfriend and I went diving in a tropical area, when we are cutting through the current, she can't follow up the rest of buddies due to lack of leg power, she's 5'9 and weights around 140lbs, wearing a Gull Super Mew XX, and we dive in 3mm wetsuit, single tank, watertemp was 28C. I was wondering whether there are any fins that can kick easier in the current and require less leg power than Super Mew.

Or should I just tell her to hit the gym more often?:confused:

Gym.

Jokes aside, I'm 5'7" around 115lbs, have chicken legs. I use the very stiff DR XT fins, I frog kick. I have no issues with current and keeping up big people. YMMV.

Thing is I have small feet and the blade in most small sizes are tiny. The XT in medium has a relatively large blade, it helps.

I don't like soft, floppy fins.

Back
Top Bottom