Firehouse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ch0ppersrule

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Went diving today with Okamiotoko2004. Pretty nice dives, expect for my lack of navagational skills on the second dive and we had a 18 minutes surface kick over to three tables so we could actually make it in to shore. The first dive we went from Firehouse to Sharks Cove and the second dive we were just going to stay around Firehouse area. Okay, we ended up close to Wiamae beach. LOL. YES, I am that bad at navagating. We did get to see lots of fish, a purple leafy scorpionfish, some eels (one enormous green moray). No turtles or sharks today. Overall it was good diving. I haven't gotten wet in 1 month so it felt good to get back at it. There was surf and current to deal with on top of the water and strong surges and current underwater. Next time I promise not to get us lost- as I won't be leading the way.

Melissa

LOL! I've always said that I couldn't navigate my way out of a box.

I remember once we were diving Three Tables and got out rather far, so I popped up to make sure we were heading in the right direction back. So we're swimming along, and swimming . . . and swimming . . . and I'm not seeing the familiar underwater landmarks as we get closer in. So we ascend to surface swim back, and I realize that I had us heading towards Waimea Bay. What can I say - when you're that far out, all beaches look the same, I guess. :07:

My problem (and I have to fight it every time) is that I have a hard time trusting my compass. My mind is telling me I'm going one way, but my compass says another. When we're not heading straight out and back - instead, we're going this way and that to check out cool stuff - I get all turned around. I'm getting better, though.

ch0ppersrule:
The first dive we went from Firehouse to Sharks Cove and the second dive we were just going to stay around Firehouse area. Okay, we ended up close to Wiamae beach. LOL. YES, I am that bad at navagating. We did get to see lots of fish, a purple leafy scorpionfish, some eels (one enormous green moray). Next time I promise not to get us lost- as I won't be leading the way.

Melissa
When you start seeing freshwater fish it's time to worry :wink: The more you navigate the better you will get believe me. I was so bad I didn't even carry a compass for about 8 years, I navigated better without one :11: Keep on leading and get with someone who's really good with a compass to help you learn. There are easy and hard ways to use a compass, find someone who teaches the way that makes the most sense to you.
Ber :lilbunny:

Ah, the familiar Waimea Beach surprise! I must say, however, that if there is any current, it takes you by surprise how quickly you can get beyond where you think you are. Not that it is my excuse . . . . . .

By the way, I've seen a lion fish out at 3 Tables twice. Kinda cool to run across.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom