First Certified Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. . . most of those places don't allow shell collecting, which is my big thing.

Totally of topic, but did you ever see a flamingo tongue sea snail (and shell)?
The Cyphoma gibbosum is such a beautiful snail and shell - especially when alive because of its retracting mantle which covers the shell, so it's spots move. It's beautiful and mesmerizing.

Ok, back to topic.

Before this trip she was very adamant:

"I'm only diving once a day, you can do the afternoon dives, I'll sit on the beach"
"I don't want my own gear, I'll just use the resorts"
"Gear is too much money - we have enough hobbies"
"We're only going to dive one week a year"

Now:
"I want my own computer"
"I want my own camera"
"We need slates so I can tell you stuff under water"
"I need a noise maker to get your attention"
"Let's go to Florida to dive over the winter"
"Why did we wait so long to do this?"

I'm OK with the buying gear - even twice - especially if it means we're going to get to go away more frequently to use it.
Congrats and welcome to the madhouse :)

Just a couple of comments. Shooting UW photo is only marginally less expensive than shooting up. It's great fun, but if you think that dive gear is expensive, you're in for a nasty surprise if you start shopping UW photo gear :D Also, I'd reconsider the noise maker. If you dive cold water with a thick hood, you won't hear anything short of an underwater explosion, and personally I think one of the great things about diving is the (relative, you hear your bubbles) quietness. A slate is great for communicating more than you can with hand signals, but with good buddy practices it shouldn't be a problem getting your buddy's attention.

And, THANK YOU, for posting. It is good feedback for SB users, to hear that they may have somehow helped another diver. I think your 'before and after' description of your wife is priceless. Good for her! And, lucky for you.

Congrats and welcome to the madhouse :)

Just a couple of comments. Shooting UW photo is only marginally less expensive than shooting up. It's great fun, but if you think that dive gear is expensive, you're in for a nasty surprise if you start shopping UW photo gear :D Also, I'd reconsider the noise maker. If you dive cold water with a thick hood, you won't hear anything short of an underwater explosion, and personally I think one of the great things about diving is the (relative, you hear your bubbles) quietness. A slate is great for communicating more than you can with hand signals, but with good buddy practices it shouldn't be a problem getting your buddy's attention.

All very good points. I quickly realized that UW camera equipment is quite pricey - but probably no more so than the (dry land) photo equipment I already have and never use. The friend that got us in to diving in the first place takes spectacular pictures, and my wife has a great eye for finding stuff on the reef, so naturally she wants to be able to take better pictures than she'd be able to get with our faux pro. Camera is def at the end of the list.

Slate is more for being able to tell me what she found as her hand signals for critters often leave me wondering if she's just asked what I want for lunch or told me to go to hell. You should have seen the one for "eel going in to a hole" :)

Slate is more for being able to tell me what she found as her hand signals for critters often leave me wondering if she's just asked what I want for lunch or told me to go to hell. You should have seen the one for "eel going in to a hole" :)
:rofl3:
I can imagine one or two signs to say that, but they're definitely not PG-rated...

I probably was a bit unclear. I agree completely with you about getting a slate (I have one myself, on my left forearm), but not about getting a tank banger or underwater whistle. The slate has come in handy more than once, for example when I - during a bad Charlie Foxtrot on a guide-led group dive - had to ask my buddy what sign we should use for "flock of sheep"...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom