First Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THarrison01

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I am taking my open water course and I am looking for a computer to make me feel more comfortable in the water, I don't know what to get. I like OLED wrist computers. I plan on becoming a dive master when I'm old enough and want to do nitrox. I plan on diving in places with low and high visibility and light. I like things like the Suunto Eon Steel and the VTX does anyone know if one of these would be good suited for me. Also how is the battery on the VTX?
Thanks for any suggestions!

KineyojzT.jpeg

Shearwater Predator, Petrel or Perdix, can't go wrong either way! They are very user friendly and can be used from entry level through advanced trimix diving. They are a fraction of some of the recreational computers out there and a used Predator or Petrel can be found at a good price especially since the Perdix has been released. Good luck!

I am taking my open water course and I am looking for a computer to make me feel more comfortable in the water, I don't know what to get. I like OLED wrist computers. I plan on becoming a dive master when I'm old enough and want to do nitrox. I plan on diving in places with low and high visibility and light. I like things like the Suunto Eon Steel and the VTX does anyone know if one of these would be good suited for me. Also how is the battery on the VTX?
Thanks for any suggestions!
Looking for a computer to make you more comfortable? You're looking in the wrong places.

After 4 nearly identical posts, in 3 different forums, naming many different computers, I think it quite clear that this 14 year old poster is flailing away. Somebody just needs to give him the answer.

Last edited:
Spending money to make you feel comfortable might eventually work, but it would probably work better if you address what is making you uncomfortable directly. As a beginning diver, all the computers out there will work fine for you. Just like pretty much all the regulators you can buy will work fine. It's possible, by trolling the depths of ebay or craig's list, to find "bargains" that you should never ever use, but none of the gear sold over the counter by US dive stores is going to be unsafe for the kind of dives a new diver should be doing. People might feel it is far from ideal, but it will work.

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-ocnv18w/oceanic-veo-180-air-nitrox-wrist-dive-computer

Here, get one of these for now. You can get a better computer when you have some experience and know where you're really going with the sport. And this one can then be used as a backup or lent to your college roommate years from now.

Apparently some of these other guys can't respect the fact that you're 14 and just want a straight forward answer.

Back
Top Bottom