First Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-ocnv18w/oceanic-veo-180-air-nitrox-wrist-dive-computer

Here, get one of these for now. You can get a better computer when you have some experience and know where you're really going with the sport. And this one can then be used as a backup or lent to your college roommate years from now.

Apparently some of these other guys can't respect the fact that you're 14 and just want a straight forward answer.

Great choice. Or buy a Veo 180, 200 or 250 on Ebay and save some money. They all work the same except the 200 and 250 have 2 buttons making control a little easier.

Plus one on the recommendations for the Shearwater Perdix. It is a fantastic computer.

how much better is that compared to the vtx and Eon

infinitely

Disagree... But then we're all allowed an opinion :wink:

why's that? genuinely curious why you think they're better

If you want AI only the VTX or Eon Steel will give you that. I like the DSAT decompression algorithm of the VTX for recreational diving, the PZ+ not so much. Neither is particularly adjustable. With the Eon, you're stuck with Suunto RGBM decompression algorithm, far too conservative for me. The VTX does not have a good O2 exposure monitoring algorithm, I don't know what the Eon has. The Perdix has a very well documented decompression algorithm, Bulhmann ZH-L16C and it is very adjustable with gradient factors. You can easily match the recreational NDLs of DSAT with a GF hi of 95-100, and can also dial it down for technical diving.

For me, I currently have the best of both worlds. My primary computer is an AI Oceanic VT3 running DSAT. My backup is a Dive Rite Nitek Q running Buhlmann with GF and a SPG. I am learning a tremendous amount from diving both.

I believe buying a computer with an inordinately conservative decompression algorithm is one of the leading causes of purchase remorse.

Best of luck,

Craig

I'm a big fan of simpler, at least at the beginning. Task loading vs being relaxed is a real deal, and a recurring theme around here over in the A&I section.

I'd stick to a simpler computer until you're sure you're going to continue diving, but more importantly until you know what you want and what you like. Rent a few of widely varying design if you can.

As many have said, basic computers are more affordable, and if you have someone experienced to help you evaluate them, a used computer could be a good option. Maybe your local dive shop has some they took as trade ins, or a local dive club, or even borrow one from someone in your local group who isn't diving that day. Just make sure you know how to operate it before the dive.

I'm not sure that any computer is going to make you more comfortable, but many of them might make you more uncomfortable.

I happen to still be diving a older Aeris Atmos 2 because it does what I want, air and Nitrox, has big numbers, shows me the 2 of the 3 things I want to know at a glance: depth and nitrogen status. The third thing of course being air supply. (And O2 loading as item 2 1/2 if I'm Nitrox diving, of course.)

Anything beyond that is more a curiosity during the dive. Water temp? Mostly I only care if I'm cold, not what the temp actually is. How long I've been down? Not important, really, as I'm usually more concerned with how long I have left. What time of day? Date? That it's the 3rd dive of the day? Not important.

I have no where as many dives as most on this board, so maybe I have a different perspective. This opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

why's that? genuinely curious why you think they're better

tbone, thanks for the genuine question. Before I answer I want to make it clear that I have nothing but the greatest respect for your experience and the sound commentary you give to others:

The short answer, is that I don't think the Eon is better than the Petrel/Perdix (comment was slightly tounge in cheek) however I do consider them comparable, if slightly different.

Before I start, I think it's only fair that I give an insight to the usage I give my Eon, as every person generally has different requirements.

I just consider myself a recreational diver. That said this year I've so far completed just over 140 dives, and will probably complete another 30 before the year is out. I dive in tropical warm waters, so each dive is an hour. In that total their are no training or pool dives. Around 70 of the dives were made in 2 vacation trips so approx 35 repetitive dives per trip

Generally my dives are below the 30m mark (first dive of the day at least) more often than not though I can ascend along a wall rather than a square profile dive. Approx 12 dives this year have been planned deco dives using mixed gasses in the 30 - 50m range which is the limit of my qualifications (BSAC & PADI) I'm neiter Trimix nor CCR qualified

So hopefully all that will put my comments into context:

I don't believe there are any bad computers out there. People opinions differ on all sorts of aspects. Some prefer AA batteries and Bluetooth connection, others like a rechargeable battery and a cable. Both have their plus and minus points. Some want AI some don't, again nothing wrong with either option although proponents of both will focus on some minor detail to support their argument.

Price.. Well I've seen only $100 price difference between an Eon with transmitter and a Petrel 2. It depends on your territory of course. To some $100 is a lot to justify, but as I'm sure you'll agree by the time you get the level where you "need" one of these computers, that extra money has paled into insignificance when you add up how much you've spent on the additional gear to support the diving habit.

Conservatism is often cited. I don't find that the Eon limits me on conservatism. Sure it's more conservative on a Deco dive (set to mid point) than the BSAC tables, but the tables were developed by the Royal Navy on 20 yr old fit sailors, whereas I'm a 50 year old. I like the caution. On repetitive dives on Liveaboard, even the mid point setting gives me a longer run than the guides who are using a Zoop for instance. The Eon algorithm is it seems slightly different from their other products

I feel for computer manufactures where they have to take into account everyone. One day it might be possible to have an individual personalised Deco algorithm - but as we know, it's all a compromise based upon the best information (often debated) at the moment

When people come up with the statement about conservative computers I like to tell the about an incident I witnessed, where on the first dive of the day (previous dive the day before had been a 10m check dive) a diver took a DCS hit requiring a chamber visit. His dive had been to 22m max, run time of 40 - 45 mins and diving a conservative computer. Nothing wrong with his profile. The major contributing factors were considered to be Dehydration and being over weight (he had 500+ dives and was part way through IDC).

You posted a gem a while ago (which should be pinned) Where you stated that:

"You change you GF settings (to more conservative) to reflect if you're feeling tired, had a bad nights sleep or a beer the night before" (something I do too).

The fact is that many many people don't understand this. They input the latest greats setting which their friends use or which is talked about on the internet. Very few users actually understand their computers, the settings and the implications of the settings.

We both know that equipment doesn't make the diver I've seen DIR compliant divers with all the gear kick up more silt than a dredger, and people with thread bare gear, years out of date who have skills to be envious of. However as in all walks of life people will focus on a brand because it's the "one to be seen with"

Finally I'd never suggest to a new diver to purchase a high end computer. get one with the basic functions. I know people suggest that they intend to become technical divers etc etc, but that's in the future, people change their mind their circumstanced change , and technology moves on...

I know the Shearwater is good, it was designed for a specific market, possibly it's becoming a victim of it's success that it is getting cult status. Would I buy one - perhaps if I was getting into more technical diving, but for the majority of users is it better or worse than the Eon? No. Each manufacturer has just taken a different approach.

Finally I'd never suggest to a new diver to purchase a high end computer. get one with the basic functions. I know people suggest that they intend to become technical divers etc etc, but that's in the future, people change their mind their circumstanced change , and technology moves on...

Dubai: you make some excellent points and indeed, just about any computer on the market can serve someone well. The thing about the Shearwater computers, however, is that they are GREAT recreational computers. In Rec mode, they are simple, super easy to read, and IMO, much more intuitive to use than many of the puck computers available now.

if the Eon Steel with a transmitter was actually only $100 more than the Petrel I'd start leaning towards agreeing with you, but in the US, the Steel with 1 transmitter is $1879, and a Petrel 2/Perdix is $850. So are you willing to pay well over 2x as much or $1000 more for a AI? I sure as hell am not....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom