First Dive Maui With My 14 Yr Old Son? Dive Shop Choice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wdjpvaz

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone! My 14 yr old will be getting certified in June and then in July we will be in Kapalua for a week. Looking for a good dive outfit in Lahaina to take him for his first dive experience in Hawaii. I'll probably do a private guide with us just to keep an eye on him. Any recommendations for a dive shop?? Thanks

Hi everyone! My 14 yr old will be getting certified in June and then in July we will be in Kapalua for a week. Looking for a good dive outfit in Lahaina to take him for his first dive experience in Hawaii. I'll probably do a private guide with us just to keep an eye on him. Any recommendations for a dive shop?? Thanks

This guy was awesome with my teenager a couple years ago. Very safety conscious, patient, and takes photos too.

wakashigeunderwater.com: Contact Mike M Wakashige

Awesome! - any other dive shop recs?

The answer is likely going to depend on what type of diving you want to be doing-shore or boat. We did a couple of shore dives with Tiny Bubbles at Kaanapali Beach Club last time there and had a great time. Shaka Doug also gets good reviews for shore diving. Lahaina Divers would be good to check out for boat dives, and there are a lot more to be found in the Hawaii forum.

There are two primary places from which boats leave: Lahaina and Kihei. Lahaina Divers is a great operation that I've used before. While Ed Robinson is a good operation, I didn't appreciate one of their divemasters digging an octopus out of its hole for a photo op for one of the divers.

Next time I'm in Maui and diving out of Kihei, I'm going with Mike Severns.

I dove with Lahaina Divers last month and they did an awesome job. They have 2 boats and usually break up the advanced dives from the beginner dives. Dive shop in right in town off of Dickson and boats are within walking distance of the shop.

Since you'll be staying in Kapalua, I would recommend Tiny Bubbles. He does mostly shore dives but will arrange boat dives if you want. He will also come pick you up if needed. Shores dives are typically no more than 30 ft but boat dives will usually be deeper than that. For the first ocean dives, I would recommend shore dives.
www.tinybubblesscuba.com

Lahaina Divers, right in Lahaina, is top notch. Good boats, good staff, walk to the dock from the shop. End of discussion. Great for beginners and advanced as well. They will allow insured professionals and their buddies to dive their own profiles.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom