First hand accounts of the condition of the Great Barrier Reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuzzA

Wetwork for Hire
Reaction score
So there are viral articles spreading around social media right now that claim the GBR is extinct. Obviously these are a big fabrication, likely from people who have never dove or even visited the GBR.

I know El Niño has been rough and the northern reefs were hit pretty hard, however, I follow a number of captains and liveaboards on social media and they are continuously rebuking these claims that the reef is dead. Video and pictures suggest they are telling the truth. Some even suggest the northern reefs are thriving and recovering.

I don't want this thread to be about climate change, pollution, etc. Instead I want to hear first hand accounts of the condition of the reef. I want to hear or see with pictures and videos from actual divers. Who I trust more than some blogger sitting in their underwear in their parents basement or a scientist in Greenland who has never actually visited the reefs.

Please share what you know.

Or somebody with an agenda. What is extinct, free speech.

N

this might be tough to get a straight answer about from anyone not part of the local dive community there. Dive ops aren't going to be taking visitors to unhealthy sections, so tourist divers will probably get the feeling that everything is alright if they are only seeing pretty areas.

I first dived it 15 years ago, and then again 2 years ago. I was in roughly the same section, including a couple of the same sites. I thought the difference was HUGE, although I could not tell fo sure based solely on my memory. The dive master for the liveaboard, though, agreed. He believed that in 20 years there would be no reason to dive it.

Yeah i just saw the " the Great Barrier has been pronounced dead at the age of 25 million years old!!!
I hope this is an exaggeration.
I also think this is something the world should really be concerned about and in a grand scale be trying to find solutions collectively. Hopefully there is something humanity can do as a whole to bring balance back to this area of our oceans.

Frank G
www.zgearinc.com

I was reading that the Parrot fish is an important part of keeping the coral reef healthy. They eat the harm full algae which can cover the coral and create this bleaching effect, which kills the coral. The numbers of parrot fish are declining in some area and over fishing seems to be one of the causes, So this is a message that should be spread so regulation and restrictions can be enforced world wide. The more people are aware the better. If there are other things one should always do or not do when visiting the reefs it is good to refresh and pass on. Everything helps and it is worth mentioning.

Frank G
www.zgearinc,com

So there are viral articles spreading around social media right now that claim the GBR is extinct. Obviously these are a big fabrication, likely from people who have never dove or even visited the GBR.

I know El Niño has been rough and the northern reefs were hit pretty hard, however, I follow a number of captains and liveaboards on social media and they are continuously rebuking these claims that the reef is dead. Video and pictures suggest they are telling the truth. Some even suggest the northern reefs are thriving and recovering.

I don't want this thread to be about climate change, pollution, etc. Instead I want to hear first hand accounts of the condition of the reef. I want to hear or see with pictures and videos from actual divers. Who I trust more than some blogger sitting in their underwear in their parents basement or a scientist in Greenland who has never actually visited the reefs.

Please share what you know.

I know that Singledivers.com stopped doing any trips there many years ago (even well before the most recent bleaching episode) because they felt the GBR was already severely thrashed (excess diver pressure, etc.) and very overpriced for the poor quality of diving. I've seen new reports (youtube) where it's blatantly obvious the Australian government is trying to do a cover up of the sad state of the reefs there now to avoid a collapse in tourism.

Personally, I'm interested in dive locations very few people have ever even heard of, well off the radar, totally opposite of the GBR, etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I wish people displayed a little more honesty and that is what this thread is about.

On one hand we have scientist reporting ~93% of the reef is DEAD, only to retract that statement and change the number to 20%. They also stated the northern reefs were done, finished, completely wiped out. Here's an example. Great Barrier Reef pronounced dead by scientists

Then we have dive operators claiming the reefs are thriving, recovering and the scientist are full of spit. Yet, we know the GBR is their livelihood, so perhaps they are only visiting reefs in good condition or their reports are false. They did completely debunk the northern reef is dead story recently by actually going and diving them. Here's an example. Great Barrier Reef in near pristine condition: dive boat operators

I just want to know the truth. Lying does a disservice to everyone, including the reef.

Last edited:
My first OW dives after getting certified in 1998 were out of Cairns and Port Douglas, and I remember feeling like I was in an aquarium. (Of course, I had nothing to compare it with.) From the recent reports, I think I will just be content with the memories.

This is the second? major bleaching due to a strong El Nino since 1998. A lot of areas showed recovery after that one.

Which brings a question. How many times have major bleachings occurred in the last two centuries or more? Scuba divers have only been observing the reefs for about 60-70 years.

(this is not a GW denial comment,. Just a thought)

Back
Top Bottom