First run with the Nikon D7000 in Ikelite Housing - Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJScubaDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently upgraded my U/W Camera system from a Canon A640 point & shoot to a Nikon D7000. I kept my DS 125 substrobe from the Canon setup, picked up another one and went with the Ikelite housing. I spent a week in Bonaire test driving the rig and overall am very satisfied.

The rig is surprisingly easy to maneuver in the water despite its cumbersome size on the boat. It's not light by any means, but only exhibits mild negative buoyancy (I float up the strobe arms with pool noodles).

I rented a Nikkor 60mm macro & Tokina 10-17mm fisheye that I put behind their respective Ikelite ports. I was pleased with both lenses, although I would go with a 105mm macro in the future for getting the really tiny critters as the 60mm required I get way close to properly frame.

I had to send the Ikelite housing back when I first received it for some adjustments. I can't say enough about Ikelite's customer service. They are a great company that goes out of their way to make sure their products work. The only drawback to the housing is that some of the controls are tough to manipulate but you get the hang of it pretty quick. My aperture control dial was very difficult to manipulate when the housing was under pressure. This may be something I need to adjust on my end. There is much greater shutter lag between pushing the shutter button and capturing the photo that is much more noticeable than my Canon A640...although that setup was using slaved strobe firing whereas now I am using TTL. I got the hang of it regardless and was able to capture some great shots.

I would strongly recommend this setup for anyone serious about U/W Photography.

Here are the photos for your viewing pleasure:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.675425220866.1073741825.58500717&type=1&l=d9429c74f1

Really nice images. I was "this close" to buying a Nauticam housing for my D7000, but decided to just stick with the Rx100 rig. We'll see how long that lasts...

I am researching UW Housings for my D7000 and I read a review that stated it is hard to achieve a half shutter push without firing off a photo with this UW housing and was wondering what your experience has been?

Also read another review that stated under pressure it was nearly impossible to use the record video button. Have you had any experience with this?

Thanks,
Adam

I am researching UW Housings for my D7000 and I read a review that stated it is hard to achieve a half shutter push without firing off a photo with this UW housing and was wondering what your experience has been?

Also read another review that stated under pressure it was nearly impossible to use the record video button. Have you had any experience with this?

Thanks,
Adam

The half shutter touchiness takes some getting used to. I had to send my housing in to ikelite to get the controls bent into proper position because the front controls weren't working properly. After a few dives I am able to get a half press but do occasionally fire two shots in rapid succession. Even with thick 5mm Kevlar cold water gloves it isn't an issue to the point it has an effect on my photos.

As for the Video, I don't shoot video that often but I have a vague recollection that the button doesn't work on at pressure. My thought was if I was into shooting video id get a video camera with a video camera housing.

All in all I am very happy with the housing and the photos it takes.

Hope this helps!

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. I don't expect to do much video mostly expect to do stills but wanted to be fully aware of any limitations before dropping that kind of cash. lol

Thanks again you reply has been very helpful I am definitely leaning towards this housing.

Adam

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. I don't expect to do much video mostly expect to do stills but wanted to be fully aware of any limitations before dropping that kind of cash. lol

Thanks again you reply has been very helpful I am definitely leaning towards this housing.

Adam

For the price you can't go wrong...I don't know what kind of strobes you have, but the money you'd drop on a 3k+ Aluminum is better spent on lighting IMO.

I now shoot a d7000 in Nauticam housing.

Set your AE-/AF-L button to AF=On. This will let you use one button to lock focus and the shutter button to shoot.

My d7000 will record video under water just fine in a good housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom