First time to 60 feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having dove Lake Erie before and doing again this weekend, you can probably expect temps in the lows 50s high 40s depending at what depth the thermocline is at. Just don't "overbreathe" your reg. That will cause a possible free flow which is not good at all. It can happen very easy from nervousness, excitement to see the wreck, over exertion, etc. Just stay relaxed and dive your plan. By the way where are you diving? I'm diving with Osprey in Barcelona NY this weekend.
I have a legend lx supreme do you think that can handle the cold water ok?

Having dove Lake Erie before and doing again this weekend, you can probably expect temps in the lows 50s high 40s depending at what depth the thermocline is at. Just don't "overbreathe" your reg. That will cause a possible free flow which is not good at all. It can happen very easy from nervousness, excitement to see the wreck, over exertion, etc. Just stay relaxed and dive your plan. By the way where are you diving? I'm diving with Osprey in Barcelona NY this weekend.
Oh Sweet I am diving with Lake Erie Adventure Charters and Divers World Sat morning. I have heard of Osprey and checked out their site. I am waiting to go one one of their dives because I see they are all pretty deep and I want to get some experience first.

That should handle the temps fine but remember...all regs can still freeze up depending how hard they are breathed. Thats a pretty good reg you got there. I have never heard of them. I just looked them up and will definitely have to keep them in mind for next year. Ospreys dives do tend to be on the deeper side.

Hello Luke, you should be just fine at 60. I'm a new diver also, and the only thing different I notice at 60 vs 30 is that I need to equalize a few more times to get to that depth and it is colder. Another thing I notice is there is less to see at 60. For me 30-40 seems to be the sweet spot for aquatic life. If you do want to use a pony (I've never even considered it) I would say be sure to use it before hand and be familiar and comfortable with it. There is not really any new skills to add going to 60 feet, but if you are worried that is an extra "task" and I have decided I never want (if possible) to add more than one new thing to a dive. Breathe easy, watch your gauges, dive safe and have fun.

My very first boat dives were to 78' and 70' respectively. I was with the experienced brother of an instructor aboard who was doing an Advanced course. You just descended on the anchor line until the bottom came into view. Not really scary at all. What WAS a bit disconcerting was when Joe disappeared on me to go after lobsters. So much for "experienced".

Thank you everyone for all of your help. I feel good after reading all of this.

My first "deep" dive was my first dive after OW certification. Due to a mix up I ended up without a dive computer but as I was diving in a trio we had 2 identical computers between three (not ideal but not the worst thing). As the others were more experienced, I let them lead and just followed. Did the dive, came back to the surface and while we were swimming back to shore, I asked about the duration and depth and the conversation went something like this:
"33 mins @ 21m".
"Oh - I'm only supposed to go to 18m as I am only OW"
"Oops my bad didn't realise you were only OW"
"Ah OK - enjoyed it anyway"

Point being I didn't realise the depth and apart from being a bit darker, there wasn't really any difference. So long as you watch your gas and computer you will be fine.

Made my first AOW deep dive a bit of a non event though - it was only a couple of metres deeper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom