First trip to the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Szczerber

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all,

I am starting to plan a trip to the Philippines in February 2017. We will be flying in and out of Cebu City. We are planning to stay around 4 weeks. So far, the plan is to start our trip in Malapascua (6-7 days), next move to Moalboal and try to see the sardines (3-4 days) . We will skip Oslob (we have seen whale sharks before) and try to move to Dauin (using the ferry). Spend 5-6 days muck diving (we have been to Lembeh before) and Apo Island. Next we plan to visit Siquijor Island (2-3 days) for some beach time and afterwards move to Bohol for our final destination before going back to Cebu City. Please keep in mind that we will be traveling with a 3.5 year old (she travels very well - visited 3 continents already). I am planning on a full day of travel between each destination. I know we will try to hit the waterfalls near Moalboal and in Siquijor. In Bohol we will try to see the Chocolate Hills and the tarsiers. My main question is do you think an itinerary like the one I described is realistic? Should we adjust any fragments of our trip (stay in one place longer than the other)? Since we will be traveling with a child, should we arrange for private transportation or the public busses will be fine? Finally, am I missing any location that should be visited before heading back home.

Before I finish I wanted to thank everyone for their contributions to this forum. Just from reading earlier posts, I learned a lot and it helped me plan the trip already.

Yes that is realistic and will cover the top destinations. The sequence is good too as far as travel between different points. Public transportation should be okay, although I'd suggest taking an express bus to keep down transit time. Figure about 3 1/2 hours from Cebu City to Maya going to Malapascua. It's a similar time from Cebu City to Moalboal. Ferries will have a bathroom. Your days add up to about 3 weeks.... I'd opt to spend maybe a day or two less in Bohol and a day or two more in Malapascua. The rest seem about right. That's only my opinion of course... others might adjust differently :wink:

I've dived all those destinations except Siquijor. I dived Moalboal last October with Moalboal OSP. Spent 4 weeks in Malapascua in April diving with Evolution Diving Resort in Malapascua, Cebu, Philippines Dived Bohol with ISLAND ADVENTURE - Home in May. It's been several years since I dived Dauin but I had a good experience diving with Mike's Beach Resort - Dumaguete

I expect you will have a great vacation :)

Last edited:
I don't see any real issue with the proposed itinerary. The only issue as Bill had already pointed out is how to allocate your precious holiday time.
Have a blast.

you have obviously done your homework. a note about traveling on the public network with children of any age: don't give it a second thought. this is the philippines after all, and if you have researched enough to develop this very realistic plan you know what i mean.

I mentioned transit time mainly because of my experience with young children needing to use the bathroom . My experience has been only one bathroom break between Cebu City and Maya :)

Thank you all very much for your help. Looks like you all agree on the itinerary. I wanted to get some more advice regarding the transportation. I should avoid public busses, correct? Do the express busses differ from the regular ones (besides they go faster of course). I think we made our mind regarding the Malapascua - Moalboal part of the trip, we will try to arrange private car for that part. What about the express bus for Cebu - Malapascua? Unfortunately I didn't come across to much information regarding the public transportation. Riding on the roof of a bus is obviously not going to happen.

The express busses do not run as often as the regular so can delay your departures...and the non express don't have AC...you might want to take a private car from cebu to malapascua also

if you are serious about making the trip from maya to moalboal in one go (i assumed you were breaking that up with an overnight in cebu city) it is advisable to come down the west side of cebu island. this necessitates use of a rough but scenic road inland south of toledo (the coast is not entirely accessible via north to south roadway). the alternative, transiting through cebu city north to south (or vice versa) as part of a very long day is not a good option.

Last edited:
a

Last edited:
Non-express, as mentioned... no aircon and stops often to pick up passengers on the side of the road. Figure an extra hour. I made two round trips between Cebu City and Maya in April. There is a longer wait to get the express bus, but it does get there faster. Usually worth the wait :wink:Be aware that there are two ports in Maya. New Port and Old Port. On the return if you end up at Old Port then you need to catch a ride if you want the Ceres Express bus which runs from New Port.

There are also van's that make the run which are a little quicker but if you have a lot of luggage they will want you to pay for a seat for your luggage. On the bus throw into the baggage compartment.... I like the bus personally :) It's also cheaper :wink:170 pesos versus 3000-5000 pesos for a private car? You can also opt for a van for 200 pesos. They wanted me to pay for a seat for the bag too because it was large, so 400 pesos to get there a half hour quicker, in a crowded van. I'd rather ride the bus and spend my money on diving :wink:

The ferry from Maya to Malapascua is a 100 pesos each. They will try to get you to pay more if the boat isn't full :D If you arrive during low tide be prepared to pay another 20 pesos each for a smaller boat to take you the rest of the way in. You can hire a private boat to deliver you directly to the resort also for a 1000-1500 pesos.

As long as you're there first thing in the morning, you'll get there in plenty of time to make it to Maya. Same applies going back. Try to leave early.

The ride to Moalboal from the South Terminal is about 2 1/2 hours. If you don't want to wait, the non-aircon buses aren't that bad :wink:Expect to pay around a 100 pesos each for tickets (107 pesos Oct 2015 non-aircon). Let the conductor know where you're going and they will let you know where to get off.. Most of the resorts are on Panagsama Beach. From the highway to the resorts a trike should be around 40-50 pesos. To hire a car or taxi plan on around 2500-3000 pesos.

This should give you a rough idea.

Hope this helps :coffee:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom