FL trip question - how much gear to take?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm in the planning stages for trip to FL this winter to dive with a friend (also an instructor) in the FLL area. My question is how much of my diving gear to take? I'd definitely take mask, fins, reg set, and fins, but do I bring my BP/W and drysuit?

I'm leaning towards bringing the drysuit since I'm not a stock size. That's why I had to go custom. If I did find a rental wetsuit that fit my torso, the arms and legs would be too long and have to be folded back. I've never been in a wetsuit, and frankly, they look like torture to get in and out of.

Thoughts?

I always take all my gear except tanks and weights, I know it and it's maintenance. I also am familiar with it. Dry suit? When and where are u going? I just used a rash guard

If you are diving the springs I'd take your drysuit. But I would take all the gear you take in the water normally unless you have really serious weight limitations. Even then, It's cheaper to buy a tshirt and shorts at Walmart than it is to buy fins that fit.

I always take all my gear except tanks and weights, I know it and it's maintenance. I also am familiar with it. Dry suit? When and where are u going? I just used a rash guard

Looking like sometime in February. Ocean dives. That's all I know at this point. I love cold weather, but I get cold in the water fast. The indoor public pool where my OW pool work was held was heated to something like 80F, but I froze my butt off. So it's either a rental wetsuit that doesn't fit well or my drysuit.

Personal comfort is key to a good.dive. When in doubt bring it! As said clothes (which imho are overrated) can be bought.

When I dove in FL Keys in the winter months, I was cold with 3mm suit and I had to use a much thicker suit. Since you get cold easily, I'd recommend you take your drysuit with you especially when considering that you are planning to be there during the winter.

Last edited:
We drive and we take everything but tanks. But if you use anything other than AL80 you might want to check with dive operater/shop to see what size tanks they rent

We drive and we take everything but tanks. But if you use anything other than AL80 you might want to check with dive operater/shop to see what size tanks they rent

Unfortunately, I'm going to be flying. I'm not that thrilled with having to fly out of ORD (O'Hare) in the winter since flights seem to get cancelled at the drop of a hat here. For years, I've not traveled between mid-November and Easter (aside from local 2-3 hour trips) due to weather issues. But if I want to dive in the winter, I have to get over that...

We drive the 711 miles so we take everything plus backups to everything. When we fly to dive in the Caribbean we still take pretty much all except tanks and weights. Bottomline, take anything you would not want to rent.

Drysuit. I think February temps in that area drop to low 70's upper 60's so definite drysuit appropriate if that is what you have and prefer. Just adjust thermals accordingly. The best advantage to the drysuit will be to avoid the wetsuit chill during the surface interval.

i'd bring your gear. personally, i travel with my full gear config.
drysuit? its a rare day when you need a drysuit in south Florida. LOL, that's why i live here!
a 3mm or 5mm is what most of us use all winter depending on one's cold tolerance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom